We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

The tour companies are so exp 400 US pp. I have found rooms available in the park but am now unsure about how to actual get there. We are a family of 4 (kids are 8,10) and want to make the travel as easy as possible.

Also i was surpirsed at how exp the Tikal inn was. $550! I thought it was more reasonable. We are looking at the jungle lodge instead.

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 9
1. Re: Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

US$550.00 a night? That seems too high. Are you sure the price is US dollars?

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
reviews: 229
2. Re: Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

That does seem so high that it's ridiculous. Maybe for a week. I'd recommend contacting Max at Maximum Adventure Tours. He's the best for Tikal.

Belize
3. Re: Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

The easiest way would be to find someone in San Ignacio who can take you in a nice comfortable van. Ask at your hotel and at the tour companies. William's Belize Shuttle gets positive comments from customers, but I don't know if he goes to Guatemala. The tour companies will have vans & drivers -- let them know you just want transport and maybe they can do something.

The other option is to get a bus and/or taxi to the border, cross over and then get a taxi to Tikal. There should be buses, but they'll be "chicken" buses, and it seems that you might want something a bit better. A taxi costs about US$50 and takes you directly to your destination.

There are a few express buses from Belize City but they don't stop at San Ignacio and they go to Flores, not Tikal, so you would still have to get some other form of transport to Tikal. That's not a problem but will take more time.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 137
4. Re: Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

Consider contacting archaeologist/naturalist Roxy Ortiz - she's terrific with kids as well as adults.

www.tikalroxy.blogspot.com

I'd check again on the Tikal Inn cost - that doesn't seem right to me, either. Jungle Lodge is usually more from what I've heard and read. Jaguar Inn can be less expensive but the others have pools - worth the investment imo. TI is my favorite. Good luck!

NYC
5. Re: Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

I have changed my plan and we are now going to do an overnight in the middle of our SI trip. I think it will make the last day a little less stressfull. We are going to stay at the jungle lodge. I like the pool idea and they were the most responsive via email. I asked TI what the $550 included (breakfast, tour, shuttle to flores) and then sent another email asking to confirm the $550 number. I will let you know. I will check out roxy. is she in tikal or SI?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
6. Re: Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

Roxy bases out of the Tikal Inn when she's in Petén but you don't have to stay there to hire her. Hope it works out for you to spend time with her!

NYC
7. Re: Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

Ugh...our SI hotel messed up our reservation so I have to re-plan our itinerary. I hope I can get you to weigh on our options. This is what we have so far. We have some days to fill and likely have some wiggle room in moving things around.

12/29 arr SI from Ambergris (water taxi/ shuttle)

12/30 full day SI (maybe ATM?)

12/31 (planned to be in Tikal- jungle lodge)

1/1 (planned to be in SI, but reservation got messed up, so no reservation anywhere)

1/2 Arr belize zoo late afternoon, stay the night at their cabins- night tour.

1/3 depart belize for US around 5pm

So we could change our tikal res to 1/1 and take the long trip back to Belize Zoo form Tikal. I think in this case we would skip the sunrise tour becasue we would be taking the night tour of the zoo. OR we could stay both 12/31 and 1/1 in Tikal-- but I am not sure what we would do there with that extra time and wonder if we will miss all the fun to be had in SI. Other ideas: we could also skip the Zoo stay/night tour or find a different place in SI for 1/1.

Hopefulist, or any Trip Advisor travelers, I would love your help in figuring out this puzzle. I think I have all of the info, but it is good to bounce it off of some BTDT travelers....Thanks so much in advance

NYC
8. Re: Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

PS...Another option is to stay by the lake. This place looks charming and may have room posada del cerro (posadadelcerro.com). I just doubt we would make it for the sunrise :-)

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
9. Re: Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

I think you can have a blast with the extra day in SI or in Guatemala. I don't love the idea of adding a stop because you don't want to be moving around night after night. Also, I wouldn't plan to do the ATM cave trip and make it to Tikal that evening - I wouldn't want to be on that road in the dark and it gets dark by 6pm or so.

Some questions for you:

:: Are you saying your SI place is booked for the night(s) you want?

:: Can you afford an internal flight if the schedules help?

Let me know and I'll give it another try. :-)

NYC
10. Re: Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

Hi Hopefulist,

We will have one full day in SI the way we have it arranged now so I thought that would be a good day for the ATM. And yes we are missing our SI reservation for 1/1.

So I think we have 4 optiOns

1. Add an extra night in tikal. (question. what do we do there with extra day and are we bummed to not be in SI )

2. Shift our Tikal visit to our open day/night 1/1 keeping still just one overnight. (problem is that we then have a long drive the next day to belize zoo and we would be less likely to squeeze in a sunrise tour)

3. We could spend 1/1 at a different hotel in SI. (a lot of schlepping, but maybe we could stay some place fun like cha creek)

4. We could cancel on the zoo, move our Tikal trip up a day an spend 2 nights in Tikal. (problem. Still the long trip direct from tikal to the airport. And missing the night zoo tour)

Basically would we rather have the extra day in tikal or SI?

It looks like flights to belize city are just in the early am.