We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions RE: Which hotel is a better choice without a car?

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bloomsburg
reviews: 191
Opinions RE: Which hotel is a better choice without a car?

Hello. Seeking opinions please. Which of these hotels would you consider a better choice for a two night stay without a car:

Aguada

Midas Resort

Reasonable walking distance (1 - 1.5 miles or so each way) is not an issue.

Which would you choose (and why), with consideration that we will be going on to Tikal from this hotel after spending two nights?

Thank you in advance!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 137
1. Re: Opinions RE: Which hotel is a better choice without a car?

I haven't stayed at Midas so can't compare. We really enjoyed the Aguada, though. Our room had a kitchenette and we shopped for fruit at the market in San Ignacio and a local home-based bakery for breakfast and light lunches. The pool was awesome and we ate a meal or 2 at the onsite restaurant, handy if you don't feel like heading into town. Pacz picked us up there for the ATM tour for no extra charge and the owners were very helpful.

San Ignacio, Belize
reviews: 16
2. Re: Opinions RE: Which hotel is a better choice without a car?

Aguada is a pretty nice place too but it is located in Santa Elena. If you would like to stay within Santa Elena you can consider this place. Aguada is roughly a 7-10 minute drive from San Ignacio. You can walk for about 15-20 minutes to where the highway is and catch a bus from there. Note that they are doing quite an amount of construction on the streets leading up to the Aquada right now.

Midas Resort is within town. You can get around San Ignacio pretty easily by walking from there. If your plans are to be in San Ignacio, then this is the place to consider.

Honestly, there are more attractions in San Ignacio... more things to do and more places to be.

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
reviews: 229
3. Re: Opinions RE: Which hotel is a better choice without a car?

They are both great choices. If you are planning on eating there, then you should stay there. They have great food. If you wanted to walk to downtown Cayo a lot, then I'd recommend Midas. It makes no difference to tours which one you stay at. Good luck!

Bloomsburg
reviews: 191
4. Re: Opinions RE: Which hotel is a better choice without a car?

Thanks for the advice/comments. I made a reservation with the Aguada for 2 nights, and I think that is how I will leave things. The first night is upon arrival from a long days travel/flights, so we will not be wanting anything but some good food (and I have read the food here is good) and a nice place to sleep. The 2nd day we will be going on a paid tour; we will probably request drop of in SI after the tour and then taxi back to the Aguada.

I hope there is not a lot of construction noise or long (walking) detour from the Aguada to downtown SI because of the construction you mention CayoBelizeTraveler, should we decide to walk downtown on our first evening in the area?

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
5. Re: Opinions RE: Which hotel is a better choice without a car?

You'll really want to take a taxi to and fro downtown. It's not a pretty walk, and it's along the highway. Trust me on that one.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 137
6. Re: Opinions RE: Which hotel is a better choice without a car?

The top row of photos in this set is of the Aguada and the walk into San Ignacio:

flickr.com/photos/…

I actually think it's really interesting to walk through neighborhoods. One of the homes had a little bakery window and we bought things for the next day's breakfast and lunch. I wouldn't do it at night but it was nice (for us) in the daytime.

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
7. Re: Opinions RE: Which hotel is a better choice without a car?

Right now, for the new highway and bridge, the entire double lane is being worked on.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

8. Re: Opinions RE: Which hotel is a better choice without a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, December 16, 2013