We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize Shuttles anyone!!!

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Belize Shuttles anyone!!!

Hello just searching for input on Belize shuttles & transfers, have read some reviews but looking for more. I am tentatively reserved with them for the 19th November to San Ignacio and then 23rd to Palencia & then we fly back to the airport. They responded really fast to my emails with great prices but wanted to know if anyone had any comments on their service.

Will also write a report on them once I use them

thanks for all the help

50 replies to this topic
eastern long island
reviews: 7
1. Re: Belize Shuttles anyone!!!

we are traveling in 2 weeks and looking into shuttles to and from Belize City/San Ignacio - any suggestions?

We are staying at Ka'ana in San Ignacio.

Thanks!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 84
2. Re: Belize Shuttles anyone!!!

Raul Marchand <galmar_48@yahoo.com>

William Hofma <belize1122000@yahoo.com>

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
reviews: 190
3. Re: Belize Shuttles anyone!!!

You can do a TA search, and read all their reviews. We recommend William H. at Belize Shuttles to all our friends since he does the shuttles himself, and doesn't just hire it out.

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 103
4. Re: Belize Shuttles anyone!!!

We booked a trip with Belize Shuttles from the airport to San Ignacio. Everything was on time and just fine. Well, our American Airlines flight was really late, so actually the driver had to wait for us, and that probably made him late for his next pickup. But he didn't drive like a maniac to make up for it -- it was all safe & above board.

Our shuttle from San Ignacio to the Belize City ferry dock was over 6 hours late, so when it looked like we would miss the last ferry for the day and couldn't wait any longer, we grabbed a cab. The driver was great, the cost was similar, we made the last ferry, and everything worked out fine. He was a local from Santa Elena, and had once lived in Belize City, so we learned a lot from him!

The thing with the shuttles is that Belize is such a small market (compared to a high-volume market like Cancun), and the destinations are relatively far apart, that it's not economical (or ecologically sound) to drive an empty van 2 hours into the jungle, pick up 2 people, drive them to the airport, pick up 2 more people, and then drive the empty van back to the airport. They have to consolidate trips to make the business work, and sometimes that results in delays. An even bigger impact comes from the fact that they are kind of at the mercy of the airlines' ability to arrive on time.

So I think they are making reasonable business decisions given the circumstances, but you have to be OK with "Island Time" in order for this to work for you. And of course, this was just MY experience.

That said, I heard great things about William, but he wasn't available when I needed to travel. :-) And the two folks who have already replied to you -- hopefulist and Dr.FeelAwesome -- gave spot-on advice, so you may want to check out some of their other posts while you're planning your trip.

San Francisco...
reviews: 7
5. Re: Belize Shuttles anyone!!!

I'd also suggest trying http://discountedbelizeshuttlesandtours.com/ for a really great experience. I just got back from Belize with my boyfriend and we ended up avoiding a USD$140 fee from the airport to Black Rock Lodge by going with Discounted Belize Shuttles and Tours.

It's a family run business and really prompt at responding to you via email or phone. Paul makes the reservations and we ended up sticking with our same driver, Mike, the whole time we were there. Mike was waiting with a sign at the airport and was very accommodating when we requested a stop to buy a SIM card and, on a later trip with him, when we requested to stop at a grocery store. He didn't charge extra for any of those stops.

Rates were the cheapest we could find for two people: USD$80 for Belize Airport > Black Rock Lodge in San Ignacio, USD$80 for Belize Airport > Belize City water taxi (no extra charge for Belize Zoo stop or stop at a grocery store), and USD$20 for Belize City water taxi > Belize City airport. Service was prompt, friendly, and in a comfortable 4x4 with air-conditioning and good shock absorbers.

Belize
reviews: 5
6. Re: Belize Shuttles anyone!!!

Belize Shuttles and Transfers, run by Timothy Wilkinson, is also a highly reputable service with modern vehicles and friendly, prompt drivers. And their prices are quite competitive, as well. Check them out at

www.belizeshuttlesandtransfers.com.

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
reviews: 190
7. Re: Belize Shuttles anyone!!!

Belize shuttles and transfers has been in the middle of a credit card scam lately, and apparently, the police are looking for someone involved in the business. They are still operating, but I certainly would never recommend using them.

William, at Belize Shuttles, is great!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
reviews: 3
8. Re: Belize Shuttles anyone!!!

Doc is referring to Malcolm Sobers who has left a mess inn his wake from Placencia to Cayo. If you work with them, do not give them your credit card info. If I don't trust someone enough to give them my card, then.......

Edited: 1:41 pm, July 28, 2011
London, UK
reviews: 13
9. Re: Belize Shuttles anyone!!!

We just came back from Belize and used a company called Discounted Belize Shuttles and Tours. Please note, they are different from Belize Shuttles and Transfers. They are the cheapest out of all we tried (and we tried several companies) and allow you to pay cash. This meant a lot to us as many of these companies want you to make an advance payment via Western Union. They were reliable, friendly and very helpful. We had Mike as our driver throughout our trip and really highly recommend him.

Monterey, Ca
reviews: 30
10. Re: Belize Shuttles anyone!!!

We just came back from a trip to Guatemala and Belize and we used Discounted Belize Shuttles and Tours to get us from Guatemala (Near the Tikal ruins) to Belize City (for transfer to Ambergis Caye). This drive took 4 hours. This company was very professional and had very reasonable rates. They were extremely prompt and responsive to emails and communications. We even made a last minute change to our plans which they coordinated for us with very little notice. They even called me at my hotel to make sure we were all on the same page as far as timings/costs. The drivers were on time and drove very well. They had nice vehicles and we felt very safe. 3 of us traveled together and our transportation was private, and I felt the prices very good. Having this mode of ground transportation allowed us to plan our trip and timings around our desired schedule, without having to take flight or buses, and be bound to their time schedules (flights/buses tend to leave at 6-7 am only). It may be scary or uncomfortable to people to be in a foreign country and to be relying on an unknown person to drive you somewhere, but we felt we were in good hands from the moment I had my first communication with this company. It also may scare people, but we had to change cars/drivers at the Guatemala and Belize border (as the drivers can't cross), but this all went very smoothly and quickly, and was not scary at all. This company coordinates many different travels in Belize. Guatemala, and Mexico, so anything you are trying to plan, I would contact them and ask, as they can definitely help. As I said, they are very good at communicating. You don't pay ahead of time, you pay when you are at your destination, so you don't have to feel like you pay before and then they won't show up...they will. Our drivers were Roberto in Guatemala and Mike in Belize. Both spoke great English, were great drivers, and answered all our questions, and made us feel comfortable. Paul is the name of the person we communicated with for all the planning and coordination. Very happy with the service!!! (travelled Dec 2011)

discountedbelizeshuttlesandtours.com

pauldlanza@hotmail.com

Paul Phone # 501-624-5022

Reply to: Belize Shuttles anyone!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted