We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best "Homebase" Location in Cayo?

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
harrisburg
reviews: 39
Best "Homebase" Location in Cayo?

My wife and I are planning a trip for late August for 10 days. We're planning to stay at 5 sisters for at least 4-5 days and wondering if we should stay longer there or would it make sense to then move to San Ignacio for a few days because of better roads out? We're interested in the ruins, caves, falls, etc.

Thanks!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
reviews: 3
1. Re: Best "Homebase" Location in Cayo?

5 Sisters is in the Mtn Pine Ridge, where you would visit Caracol, canoe Barton Creek cave, ride horses at MET, visit the sites in the MPR and Baldy Beacon, Green hills Butterfly farm, swim in Big Rock Falls, etc. Its a 30 min drive to the Western hywy to reach other attractions in Cayo. Perhaps move to a lodge in tropical foliage along the Macal or Mopan Rivers or stay in town. Saturday market is worth a stroll.

Cypress, Texas
reviews: 123
2. Re: Best "Homebase" Location in Cayo?

San Ignacio is the hub for tours and other activities, so it would make it easier to stay there. I'd recommend places that are located up on the hills surrounding the town like Cahal Pech Village Resort for middle priced lodging or if you want a really nice and quiet place with plenty of air conditioning with excellent access on good roads, then I'd recommend the best place in town, the San Ignacio Resort Hotel.

San Ignacio is full of tour companies with PACZ being the top rated. Their tour to Tikal is a real bargain as it includes all your border crossing fees and departure taxes, handling all the transits through migration, park fees, lunch, transportation on both sides of the border, picking you up and returning you to your resort, the same tour guide the whole trip, etc. Tikal is the most visited (although not crowded), largest, and highest of all the Mayan sites. No way you want to miss experiencing it when you will be so close.

Edited: 5:37 pm, May 25, 2010
San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
reviews: 211
3. Re: Best "Homebase" Location in Cayo?

You'll probably be ready for a change after half a week at 5 Sisters. It has a great location for seeing MPR, but it is way out there. You'd probably want to stay closer to town - maybe even downtown if you really wanted to be close to the action - for some of your time so you could see some other sights like Xuanantunich, Cahal Pech, the Iguana Hatchery, and be closer to ATM.

Cayo also has some great restaurants. If you'll be in Cayo for a while, check out the Best of Cayo site for the best places to eat, drink, and play at. http://www.bestofcayo.com I would recommend doing a horseback adventure around MPR. MET has the best horses I've seen here, and I've done their tours quite a few times.

Enjoy!

Tualatin, Oregon
reviews: 25
4. Re: Best "Homebase" Location in Cayo?

I completely agree with those saying to move closer to San Ignacio after Sisters.

I stayed at Cahel Pech myself and the location is perfect in my mind. Food is good, view fantastic. Be very careful which cabana you end up with though. The tripadvisor reviews are absolutely right. The reviews are very polarized cause there are some fantastic cabanas (saw some of the ones others stayed at while I was there) and some older ones that are smelly, ac is weak, and the cabana not very clean (which is what I ended up with).

I'm not sure how you can make sure you get a good cabana instead of a bad one though. Maybe ask about their cabanas and if they were built during different times and if so can you stay in one of the newer ones (I'm not 100% positive it was the newer ones that were the better ones though)?

Another alternative is San Ignacio hotel which is also at a good location (though the view from Cahel Pech is more beautiful) and from the looks of the outside, well kept.

Tualatin, Oregon
reviews: 25
5. Re: Best "Homebase" Location in Cayo?

Forgot to mention, what about spending the last 5 days somewhere else like a Caye or Placencia? I imagine you probably have your reasons already but thought I'd mention the suggestion anyway.

Edited: 9:44 pm, May 27, 2010
Placencia, Belize
reviews: 13
6. Re: Best "Homebase" Location in Cayo?

Or way down south in Toledo for a distinctly different feel and some beautiful scenery, interesting small ruins, great wildlife, plus access to the most remote and beautiful cayes.

I like San Ignacio Hotel too, but it is distinctly a conventional hotel. It is very attractive and has a lovely veranda for dining where you look down onto the treetops, fabulous birds in the morning. And the iguana hatchery is great - I am a big iguana fan.

Bar Harbor, Maine
reviews: 139
7. Re: Best "Homebase" Location in Cayo?

I can heartily recommend DuPlooy's Jungle Lodge as an excellent homebase in Cayo, near San Ignacio. Comfortable accommodations, much to explore on the grounds and on the river on your own and great guides for excursions. The create-your-own-package option is a great deal, especially if you are trying to pack in a lot.

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
reviews: 211
8. Re: Best "Homebase" Location in Cayo?

I also recommend Duplooy's Jungle Lodge. Jungle lodges are in - nobody wants to stay in town anymore when you can stay at a lodge for around the same price - and if you have a rental car, you can easily get from town to the lodge and back. DuPlooy's also has the Belize Botanic Gardens there on site.

9. Re: Best "Homebase" Location in Cayo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 28, 2010