We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking around port area

Which Belize City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
reviews: 1
Walking around port area

Arriving on a ship, this will be my 4th trip to Belize and have done the cave tubing and other excursions. I love exploring the port areas and have read so many negatives including that they won't let you leave the port if you don't have an excursion. I find it hard to believe that it's that bad. I have traveled non cruise related all over Panama and Costa Rica using common sense to avoid areas that seem sketchy. I don't flash cash or wear expensive jewelry or clothes, I am a shorts and flip flop guy who likes cold beer and eating like the locals. Can anyone recommend some places close to the port for shopping, beers and just to get a local vibe? Thanks for any advice.

6 replies to this topic
Belize
1. Re: Walking around port area

I've never heard of not being allowed to walk around Belize City unless an excursion has been arranged.

Here's a typical walking tour of Belize City...

In the downtown area, a good place for orientation is the Swing Bridge, a short walk from the Tourism Village where you come ashore. Along the way from the Tourism Village to the Swing Bridge, you'll find the Image Factory (where there might be an exhibition of some sort), and some restaurants (I'd avoid the Wet Lizard or the Lazy Lizard or whatever it's called -- these places cater to the tourists and have menu prices to match).

From the Swing Bridge, walk south along Albert Street (this is the main street in BC) to St. John's Cathedral and the House of Culture. You'll find the main shopping area along Albert Street. Return along Regent Street or the foreshore. Along the way, you'll see the Bliss Institute and the Supreme Court Building.

From the Swing Bridge, walk north along Queen Street to the museum/former prison. It's not on Queen Street and you might have to ask a few people to find it. Ask about the location of the tourist information office -- it was once up that way, but I'm not sure where it is now. At the corner of Queen Street & Daly Street, you'll find Nerie's Restaurant with a good Belizean menu without the "gringo" prices. Walk out to then along Marine Parade (a map would be helpful) to Memorial Park then to the Baron Bliss Lighthouse.

Return to the Tourism Village.

You'll need a map of the City showing the exact locations of everything.

Another good place for food & beer is the Riverside Tavern. It's at the corner of North Front Street & Mapp Street about 1 km from the Swing Bridge.

2. Re: Walking around port area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline protecting the personal privacy of our users. We will remove messages that include real names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, street addresses, Instant Messenger handles and nicknames that are provided without permission from that user.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:04 pm, January 21, 2014

Belize
3. Re: Walking around port area

For those that missed it...

"From the Swing Bridge, walk north along Queen Street to the museum/former prison."

That's the Museum of Belize.

Carriere...
reviews: 110
4. Re: Walking around port area

What is your opinion of the safety of walking to these areas? Also what do you think of walking to Ft. George?

Belize
5. Re: Walking around port area

Not 100% safe. I've heard of a few incidents where tourists have been robbed in the Fort George area and while walking along the foreshore.

Stay on the main streets.

Try to walk where there are other people.

ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings.

Use taxis -- they're cheap.

Fort Lauderdale...
reviews: 2
6. Re: Walking around port area

I agree, use taxis. I have traveled extensively and this is the first time I felt so unsafe. My friend and I walked into town from the port at around 2 pm and we were almost robbed. We never thought it would be this bad. Besides there is really nothing to visit, as most visitors do , everybody comes to Belize City on their way somewhere else.

Reply to: Walking around port area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted