We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Belize?

Which Belize City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
reviews: 8
Where to stay in Belize?

My wife and I will be going to Belize for a week in November. Our goal is to relax on the beach, snorkel, scuba, visit the Maya ruins and other points of interest, have good food and meet locals. Which location should that offers all of the above should we choose for lodging? We will not have a car so we will need a location that offers day tours. Thanks.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
reviews: 4
1. Re: Where to stay in Belize?

Look at coastal villages of Hopkins and Placencia, closer to mainland day trips and 10 and 19 miles from the reef

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 69
2. Re: Where to stay in Belize?

Hopkins offers the best of many Belize worlds - Cockscomb Reserve and Mayflower are close for hiking and a jungle experience, the town is fun to hang out, ruins are a doable daytrip away. Hamanasi runs a first rate scuba operation. It's really nice to stay as well - it's spendy but beautiful - an easy bike ride away from Hopkins. We've stayed there a few times now. http://www.hamanasi.com

Staying in Hopkins Town is fun as well and we've always loved the Hopkins Inn. http://www.hopkinsinn.com/

The town has some funky restaurants and the experience is authentic. We love Hopkins town.

You can book scuba with Hamanasi even if you aren't staying with them.

Layton, Utah
reviews: 121
3. Re: Where to stay in Belize?

Hopkins is a pretty good base, but to get to the ruins will require a couple hours drive time. Great restaurants and friendly locals.

If your looking for something a bit more budget friendly check out Coconut Row. Right in the heart of town and the owners are awesome.

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 9
4. Re: Where to stay in Belize?

Even with just a week, I'd consider splitting your trip. I'd spend a few days in/around San Ignacio, then, move to one of the beach destinations. I prefer the northern cayes, either Ambergris or Caulker, less than a mile to the reef, vs. 10-19 miles further south.

Even with the hassle of spending a few hours moving, it will be less time than what you'll spend on the road heading to the ruins and such from Hopkins or Placencia.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 2
5. Re: Where to stay in Belize?

Are there any all inclusive resorts, similar to mexico in this area?

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
6. Re: Where to stay in Belize?

The short answer is no. The total number of hotel rooms in Belize is probably less than the number of rooms in one of the large Mexican resorts.

Most resorts in Belize are small, most are less than 50 rooms. Belize seems to be more of an active vacation destination. Even when resorts are at capacity, you won't see very many people lounging on the beach.

At the more remote jungle lodges, food, and sometimes some alcohol, is included. It's more a matter of there not being any where else to eat than anything else.

reviews: 4
7. Re: Where to stay in Belize?

I will be going to Belize for 1st time next winter (maybe Feb-March) In your opinion, should I get a VRBO for a wk and then look for more reasonable housing? I would like to stay on Caye for a wk and then maybe 3 wks. on mainland to see if I want to spend much of the rest of my life the area.

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
8. Re: Where to stay in Belize?

Do you need all the amenities that a VRBO house or condo would give you? There are literally dozens of small guest houses on Caye Caulker. Lots of cheap food options as well. With a week, you may find you won't be doing much cooking anyway.

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
reviews: 229
9. Re: Where to stay in Belize?

I'd also split between inland and the cayes. You don't loose much time in travel, and there are things to see on both ways, like the Belize zoo, and cave tubing. No need for a VRBO unless you really like cooking for yourself.

luv2roam
reviews: 1
10. Re: Where to stay in Belize?

I too would suggest splitting your week into two locations. While the country is small, traveling to the cool sites can take quite a bit of time. I went with a company called Adventure Life. They arranged everything so I didn't have to worry about driving or anything. We stayed a few nights in the Cayo district at a place called Pooks. It was such a great place. Small, only about a dozen cabins. We went canoeing, visited Xunantunich ruins, the ATM cave (such a cool experience!) and then went to Placencia for a few nights. Here we were able to fish, snorkel and just relax on the beach. We stayed at the Turtle Inn, wich was really over the top nice. It was small but had all the amenities that you would expect from a larger resort. I think there were only about 25 rooms so it was very quiet. Placencia is at the tip of a long peninsula and has such a laid back, Caribbean feel to it. Adventure Life pre-booked most everything for this trip, but we had flexibility when we were in Placencia to eat in town, organize our own afternoon activities (or not). I really liked the mix of the jungle in the Cayo district and the beach time. I really felt like we saw a lot that Belize has to offer in just a week. I think we really would have missed out or spent too much time traveling to various sites if we had just spent our time in one area.