We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling in Belize

Which Belize City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Travelling in Belize

What is the best form of travel throughout Belize? I am on a budget, but would like to travel from Belize City to Caye Caulker to Placencia to San Ignacio to Orange Walk, and then back to Belize City again. I'm considering renting a car, but rental and gas prices are very high.

Does anyone know:

1. How much taxi fares cost to and from these locations?

2. Would taking the bus be a good idea? (is it safe? do they run often?). How long would it take?

3. Any tips/suggestions?

-Thanks, any help is appreciated!

Belize
1. Re: Travelling in Belize

The best form of transportation and the cheapest are two different things.

1. Use a water taxi (boat) to go to Caye Caulker. Fares and schedules are on the websites of the water taxi services. See the BelizeBus site for the links to the services.

For the other mainland destinations, a bus would be the cheapest option. Taxis in Belize don't have meters, so you'll have tp negotiate a fare for each trip. As an example, a bus from Belize City to San Ignacio is BZ$7 while a taxi is about BZ$200. You could contact a transfer service and ask about their fares.

2. Buses are a good idea if you're on a budget. They run very frequently.

All the info you need should be on this site...

http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

Also consider flights with one of the Belizean airlines. They are a bit more expensive, but can reduce travel time.

If you need any more info, let me know (it's my site).

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
reviews: 238
2. Re: Travelling in Belize

Buses are safe and reliable, and they run quite often. Just keep an eye on your stuff, and don't put anything in the outside pockets of your packs except for trash.

3. Re: Travelling in Belize

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, July 10, 2013