We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Job offer near Belize City

Which Belize City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 93
Job offer near Belize City

I have an oppurtunity for a good job in my field, that includes room and board. Due to the confidentiality, all I know right now is that it is located along New River, not far from Belize City. What I need to know- is what I have heard about the area in and around Belize city true, in regards to high crime, dirty conditions, and many "slum" areas? I am a middle-aged female who would not appreciate having to stay on the property where I work all the time, especially as I love the sea and water sports, as well as visiting different areas. I would not have my own transportation while there. Any input would really help. Thanks.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
reviews: 4
1. Re: Job offer near Belize City

The closest the New River runs to Belize City is about an hour away in Orange Walk.

Chicago, Illinois
2. Re: Job offer near Belize City

Thanks! Can you give me any advice or info on the area?

British Chic in...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Job offer near Belize City

Hey Tulu - the New River area is pretty crime free - and there is a lodge just off the Northern Highway, about 50 miles or one hour away from Belize City, and then another lodge called Lamanai Outpost Inn about 28 miles up river (also can be reached by road), near the Maya site of Lamanai - beautiful place, as is the lodge near the highway, on the same river. The entire area is part of the "sugar belt" of Belize, where sugarcane is harveted for the sweet stuff. I think it would be neat to work in the area. The people there are Meztiso (Spanish and Maya mixture, Spanish, some Afro-Belizeans, and the famous Mennonites (like the Amish) - two huge farming communities there - one on the New River and the other further inland near the border with Mexico. Lots of activity and business. I say give it a shot. And tell us if it works out.

Chicago, Illinois
4. Re: Job offer near Belize City

Thanks for the info. I think I may give it a shot!

5. Re: Job offer near Belize City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 28, 2009