We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Water Caye or Glover's Atoll

Santa Fe, New Mexico
South Water Caye or Glover's Atoll

My husband and I are planning a trip to Belize this April and cannot decide between South Water Caye and Glover's Atoll. We're looking at Pelican Pouch vs. Isla Marisol. We'd like lots of time to relax, kayaks at our disposal to explore and the possibility of a few snorkel trips. We just can't decide if we want to be on the reef so we can explore other cayes or on the atoll. Thoughts?

28 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 27
21. Re: South Water Caye or Glover's Atoll

We are considering heading down but wondered if August is a good time to head to Belize and Glovers?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 148
22. Re: South Water Caye or Glover's Atoll

We've visited twice (1 week on Glovers of 3 or 4 in country each trip) in August and think it's a great time to visit. In 2003 the rain fell almost exclusively at night. In 2009 it hardly rained. Technically it's hurricane season so keep your ears open but you're very unlikely to have a problem.

My photos with trip links are below if you're interested. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Edited: 5:19 am, January 07, 2012
23. Re: South Water Caye or Glover's Atoll

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:56 pm, January 17, 2012

24. Re: South Water Caye or Glover's Atoll

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:57 pm, January 17, 2012
Edited: 1:57 pm, January 17, 2012

Quogue, New York
reviews: 3
25. Re: South Water Caye or Glover's Atoll

Which Glovers Reef operator out of Placencia is best geared toward snorkelers? Avadon seems to attract more divers for that trip. I have two kids and we don't want to get lost in the crowd as snorkelers. We don't have the budget to charter our own boat. Options?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
26. Re: South Water Caye or Glover's Atoll

I've stayed out there but don't have experience with day trips so can't help with your specific question. Honestly, I'd rethink. It's several hours each way and the crossing, especially in the afternoon, can be pretty rough. Even without kids I wouldn't advise it. South Water Caye would be half the distance plus the trip is all inside the reef - maybe a better option. Be safe and enjoy, whatever you decide!

Quogue, New York
reviews: 3
27. Re: South Water Caye or Glover's Atoll

well i guess i am confused now...most posts say Glovers is a not to be missed part of a trip to Belize...

other than the rough boat ride and time it takes, are the visuals different...the sealife and coral, etc?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
28. Re: South Water Caye or Glover's Atoll

Very few people make it out to Glover's, especially if they're snorkeling and not diving - it's 40 or 50 miles out so day trips mean more time on the boat than in the water. That trip has been memorably rough for us twice out of 4 trips (2 round trips) and I wouldn't recommend it for kids especially.

I think there are areas on the southern reef that would be stellar but I haven't visited them so can't compare; I'm heading back this summer and will spend a week in the Sapodilla Cayes.

For kids and most adults the snorkeling from Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye is a highlight. The reef gets more pressure so the coral, sponges, and gorgonians aren't as vibrant but in the Hol Chan Reserve you get to snorkel with big jacks, rays, and nurse sharks - your kids would love it.

Reply to: South Water Caye or Glover's Atoll
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted