We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caye Caulker verses Placencia

Oslo, Norway
reviews: 4
Caye Caulker verses Placencia

Hi,

I am coming to Belize in begining of July together with my sister. We are in our late 30's and are looking for beach, sunbathing, relax etc but also a bit of easy nghtlife. (not looking for large nightclubs, but bars with a great atmosphere. I once went to Bocas del Toro and loved it. Anyone that can give me any recommendations? If we should do a few days at each place or any suggestions would be highly appreciated :)

Thanks

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 9
1. Re: Caye Caulker verses Placencia

How much time do you have in Belize? If more than a week, I'd definitely split your trip. I'd probably split it anyway, I like to move around.

Placencia has much better beaches than Caye Caulker. But, both are fun beachy destinations.

I've been to Bocas, if you liked it there, you'll probably enjoy either place in Belize.

Oslo, Norway
reviews: 4
2. Re: Caye Caulker verses Placencia

Thank you so much :) Yes, I think we will split our time between the two places. Do you how is the best way to get from CC to Placencia? :)

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 9
3. Re: Caye Caulker verses Placencia

I guess you need to define 'best'.

The fastest, and most expensive is to fly. Hop on a Tropic flight in Placencia, change planes at the Municipal airstrip in Belize City and fly to Caulker.

Cheapest is to take the bus from Placencia to Belize City, then, take the water taxi to Caulker.

You can also hire someone to drive you between Placencia and Belize City.

Or, do a combo, fly one leg, take the water taxi onwards. Or, bus to Belize City, then fly. Lots of options.

London
reviews: 65
4. Re: Caye Caulker verses Placencia

I've just done a 3 day sailing trip from Caye Caulker to Placencia with Raggamuffin, as the way of getting down there but also as the trip had great reviews. It was so much fun with a mixed age group of 20 people - a few couples, a family and some lone travellers. Would definitely recommend this as a way to get between the two, meet some great people, do some fantastic snorkelling and eat some great food! I would also say that I prefer Caye Caulker to Placencia. It's true that the beaches aren't as big but there is still plenty of sand and more watering holes to choose from. It's like paradise and you will very quickly find yourself "going slow". If it gets too slow Caye Ambergris is not too far away for something a bit livelier, though you notice that it's more expensive.

Chicago, Illinois
5. Re: Caye Caulker verses Placencia

Caye Caulker is great and laid back.

england
reviews: 58
6. Re: Caye Caulker verses Placencia

We have just returned to caulker from plancencia. I think Caulker is much, much better than plancencia - it's true there is more beach in plancencia but the vibe is not nearly as great and the shoreline no where near as stunning. I was sorry we wasted time travelling to plancencia in the end as it was a bit "dead". We did speak to locals who said it was quiet when we were there and some weeks are a bit more lively .....

Belize
7. Re: Caye Caulker verses Placencia

Here's a site with lots of info about how to get around Belize...

http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

Bloomsburg
reviews: 191
8. Re: Caye Caulker verses Placencia

We just returned from 15 days in Belize. 5 nights of this trip were spent in Maya Beach (7 miles N. of Placencia Village) and 5 on CC. We did go into Placencia village twice for lunch/dinner and some drinks/live reggae music. As noted by others, the Placencia peninsula has very nice beaches. Both Placencia Village proper (the town itself) and CC have lots of bars, restaurants, etc. I don't know which one has more shops, if you are interested in that. Although CC has the "go slow" slogan, I don't feel that it was any more "mellow" than the Placencia region or Placencia Village itself. The biggest difference (to me) was the beach. CC really does not have a "beach", so if that is important to you, then Placencia would be more to your liking for sure. CC is a limestone/coral island with hard-packed limestone/coral/shell making up the shoreline or "beach". Unless you are staying at a resort / hotel / guesthouse that is right on the water, you will not have much opportunity for just hanging out staring at the ocean with a drink. Other than the oceanfront accommodations, there is almost nowhere for you to "go to the beach" and lie/sit down - unless you are comfortable lying on very hard ground/concrete. Only the areas fronting the resorts and the shops / souvenir shops are kept nice; other ocean front areas on the island are, sadly, strewn with quite a bit of garbage, washed ashore from the ocean. So, what I am getting at here is you will possibly not be able to find a nice place to hang out on a beach (and no "sandy" beach) and relax outside of these areas. Relaxing to me is being able to sit on a beach chair/chaise or stretch out on soft sand; maybe that is not required for some folks to feel comfortable. "The Split" is also not a beach. It is basically a lot, comprised of hardpacked limestone/coral and remnants of a broken bridge / concrete pier where people hang out with beach towels strewn on the concrete, etc. The only chairs are at the Lazy Lizard bar and a few adjacent picnic tables; you can take a beach towel and lie on the (to me) hard surface. CC is fun, and we enjoyed our time there. We did not actually stay in Placencia Village, so I don't know what it would be like to actually stay there overnight. The biggest difference is beach quality and CC has such great proximity to the barrier reef snorkeling and scuba tours, sailing, etc. Plus, CC is just a short 45 boat ride over to Ambergris if you are interested in going there to check it out.

Charlottesville...
reviews: 2
9. Re: Caye Caulker verses Placencia

I like both Caulker & Placencia. Caulker is tiny and you can walk to just about everything. It gets a young crowd and has a fun funky rasta vibe. Placencia is more spread out and it can be quite far from one area or hotel to the village proper. The reef is much closer to shore from Caulker and the sand is fine & white with brilliant turquoise water. Placencia has "regular" tan sand and darker water. But yes, the beaches are bigger in Placencia. It depends on what you are looking for. Belize is not really about the "beach" it is about the water and what is in & under it. If you have time, split it and do both. They offer different experiences and local cultures. Hopkins is another beach town with yet another vibe and even better beaches.

10. Re: Caye Caulker verses Placencia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 17, 2014