We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery/beer/liquor costs

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 3
Grocery/beer/liquor costs

I am looking at rentals on Caye Caulker and am wondering if having a place with a full kitchen is worth it, or if groceries are too expensive there to even bother. Also is there liquor and beer for sale on the island and if so what are the costs like?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 10
1. Re: Grocery/beer/liquor costs

I don't know much about costs on Caulker, but, on Ambergris, a case of beer from the distributor is about BZ$50.00. I'm guessing it's the same on Caulker. Rum is really cheap, and good. Any imported liquor is expensive, unless you buy it at the duty free on your way in.

Imported foods are expensive, if you eat rice and beans and tortillas with pork or chicken, costs are reasonable.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 3
2. Re: Grocery/beer/liquor costs

Is that a 24 case?

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 10
3. Re: Grocery/beer/liquor costs

Yes, plus deposit.....I don't know how much the deposit is.

London, UK
reviews: 73
4. Re: Grocery/beer/liquor costs

Caye Caulker is strangley much cheaper shopping for food than San pedro, Chans Mini mart is recommended. lots of choice with fruits and vegetables readily available from street side local sellers.

On reflection a box of cereal on San Pedro from the 'support locals' supermarket is about 10 BZ on CC 5-6BZ ! One day we purchased a box of nutri grain bars, a packet of cookies and a bottle of insect repellent it came to 48BZ!!!! ($24US) Even in the UK that is at best £6-8 (absolute rip off, I think they saw us coming!)

Beer is pretty much the same prices with 3-3.30 a common figure on both islands, I cant comment on spirits.

I wish we had cooking facilites for our week here! As 'flashpackers' we always try and make our own breakfast and lunch and eat out cheaply in the evenings to keep the costs down.

Davie, Florida
reviews: 2
5. Re: Grocery/beer/liquor costs

Belize has high tariffs on imports so anything local is cheapest

Wisconsin
reviews: 46
6. Re: Grocery/beer/liquor costs

If you like to cook, I would recommend a full kitchen. Local fruits and vegetables are inexpensive and you can generally find a fisherman who is selling his catch of the day on a pier. We bought two large red snappers one morning for $10 BZ. We spent another $10-15 BZ on rice and veggies from the grocery store and made an amazing dinner. Rum is cheap on the island and you can buy local fruit juices to mix with it. There are several small grocery stores on the island and you will find the ones located on back or middle street are a tad less expensive than the ones on the front street.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 61
7. Re: Grocery/beer/liquor costs

I would highly recommend finding somewhere with a kitchen. We cooked our last night there, and wish we had cooked more during our stay. We met a guy that works (raking the sand) at the Lazy Lizard that also dives for lobster in the afternoon. We bought 3 whole lobster from him for $20 BZ ($10 US). He even let us go snorkeling with him to watch him catch the lobster!

We rented a fishing pole for a few dollars and caught our own fish one day. (I think if we had actually known what we were doing we would have been more successful too).

Another couple we met on the island said they had someone that would come by their place in the morning to see if they wanted to buy fish, another person that would see if they wanted to buy fruit, and the lobster guy we met would stop by their place too. The cooked every night!

8. Re: Grocery/beer/liquor costs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, January 09, 2013