We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best value restaurants on Caulker -- feeding the kids?

Philadelphia, PA
reviews: 545
best value restaurants on Caulker -- feeding the kids?

I've got to feed a family for a week on Caulker. Where should we eat? Seafood -- including lobster -- would be a big plus, if it's reasonably affordable. Some "familiar" menu selections would be helpful for the kids. I'm assuming there are no actual "kid's menus" (with lower prices) on Caulker?

Thanks.

Caye Caulker, Belize
reviews: 1
1. Re: best value restaurants on Caulker -- feeding the kids?

Mostly, there are no "kids" menus on Caye Caulker, but you will be pleasantly surprised and just how inexpensive good food on the island can be.

Try Miss Elida's for "johnny cakes" for breakfast (US$0.75 each), the bakery sells hot rolls, try Syd's for lunch or dinner (go before you get hungry as the wait can be a bit long). Syd's has burritos and other local fare for about US$1.00 each. The Sandbox also sells a really hefty breakfast called the "Breakfast Special" for only US$5. This includes toast/fry jacks/johnny cakes, eggs, bacon or sausage, some salsa on the side and something to drink (juice or coffee).

All in all, just walk around, bike around, or ask around. You will be surprised by some sweet little hidden gems.

Cheers,

Wendy Auxillou

Auxillou Beach Suites

Beachfront

Caye Caulker, Belize

menlo park, ca
reviews: 66
2. Re: best value restaurants on Caulker -- feeding the kids?

There are several no name places that pop up on the beach at dinner time with run-down old picnic tables. I stopped in once because they offered a full lobster dinner for $25 that did indeed have many courses from rum punch to dessert, and then it turned out to be 25 Belize dollars!! I've paid more than that for coffee in the Houston airport. Two more positive features; being right smack on the beach keeps the evening bugs away, and those picnic tables fill up with other diners, and you get to meet some nice people. The menu is naturally simple, but it came with 3 lobster tails, so it would appeal to the kids. They may drag you there every night. No credit cards or reservations.

People on Caulker, like everyone else in the world, love kids, so I'm sure they would run to the store or back home to get whatever your kids wanted, if it isn't on the menu.

Philadelphia, PA
3. Re: best value restaurants on Caulker -- feeding the kids?

Thanks for the tips. Is that 3 lobster tails -- along with other courses -- for 25 Belize dollars?

Sounds like quite a deal. The family will eat a lot of lobster!

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 9
4. Re: best value restaurants on Caulker -- feeding the kids?

I don't know when you're traveling, but lobster season ends February 15, and doesn't open again until mid-June.

Philadelphia, PA
5. Re: best value restaurants on Caulker -- feeding the kids?

Wow -- so does that mean you can eat lots of cheap lobster if you're there BEFORE Feb. 15 -- but no lobster for you if you're there after that date?

That would be a bad break for some, but my visit is before the 15th!

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 9
6. Re: best value restaurants on Caulker -- feeding the kids?

Yep, that's what it means. There are a very few (and usually expensive) restaurants that have a permit to serve frozen lobster during the off season.

Philadelphia, PA
7. Re: best value restaurants on Caulker -- feeding the kids?

Thanks. Lobster it is. In reading through some posts, I understand that there is also good grilled snapper to be had at "informal" restaurants as well.

8. Re: best value restaurants on Caulker -- feeding the kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:24 am, October 16, 2009