We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

caye caulker or ambergis caye

Which Caye Caulker hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Utrecht
reviews: 11
caye caulker or ambergis caye

Hi!

We're going to belize early may. We're staying for about a week.

We're having doubts wheater to go to caye caulker or ambergis caye.

We're looking for a nice budget accomodation with some good dive and tour options.

Maybe you've also got some suggestions for a tour inland.

Looking forward to any suggestions.

Thanks.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
reviews: 3
1. Re: caye caulker or ambergis caye

CC caters to budget travelers. Inland-Lamanai Mayan site and wildlife and river cave tubing and the zip line.

Bruceton Mills...
reviews: 3
2. Re: caye caulker or ambergis caye

I can't really help with Ambergris Caye but can show you what Caye Caulker looks like.

We have been to CC 3 times and put trip reports and pictures on our website.

www.alandsuejohnson.com/belize%20trips.htm

The 2007 one has pictures of your tour of Lamanai from Caulker.

Ambergris Caye is more popular and I'm sure you'll get information on it.

Caulker is more laid back and draws solo travelers, backpackers and people like us. (Whatever that means).

Salt Lake City, Utah
reviews: 25
3. Re: caye caulker or ambergis caye

I just got back from CC and a few mainland points (San Ignacio, Orange Walk, Placencia). I loved CC, but it is very laid back. Don't go to CC if you want night clubs. Do go if you want good budget accommodations (I stayed at De Real Macaw, which was nice), good drinks, nice people, and access to great snorkeling/diving. We stopped on Ambergris for lunch one day while doing a snorkel tour from CC and it seemed noisy and crowded. To do mainlaind tours (Lamanai, jungle hikes, cave tours) I'd say to stay on the mainland, around San Ignacio or Caves Branch.

Grand Junction...
reviews: 6
4. Re: caye caulker or ambergis caye

caye caulker is more laid back than san pedro ( ambergris caye), much smaller, but really fun.

Mobile AL
reviews: 10
5. Re: caye caulker or ambergis caye

We are having the same questions. I had almost ruled out AC, but we will be going in the off season so I'm hoping it will not be overcrowded if we stay there. We were also looking at Placencia and Hopkins. I had read that many things close down during low season in those areas. We will spend several days new San Ignacio, then return for several days at AC or CC.

Toronto
6. Re: caye caulker or ambergis caye

as other mention cc is very laid back, "go slow" is one of their moto's. it's also cheaper than san pedro. san pedro is a little more expensive, is busier and more of a party island...lots of cool bars like "crazy canucks". blue water grill has really good food. if u really wanted to u could do a few days at both places...they're only a boat ride away.

Ontario Canada
7. Re: caye caulker or ambergis caye

After 4 trips to Belize, I finally visited Caye Caulker 2 weeks ago. As others have said, it is very laid back.

To me it seemed to go beyond 'go slow' and to have stopped completely. Maybe it was just the day I was there but it was very, very quiet.

If that is your vacation style, I say go for Caulker. If not, choose Ambergris. For accommodation there look at Spindrift and Hotel del Rio to see if they fit your budget.

New Jersey
reviews: 32
8. Re: caye caulker or ambergis caye

It really depends on your style of vacation.

Ambergris Caye is very loud, lots of bars, more touristy, more expensive, but more things happening.

Caye Caulker is more laid-back, local in flavor, slower pace of life, and virtually no night life.

We liked CC much more-- we found AC to be too dusty with all the cars and congestion, and all the young college-age kids to be obnoxious and rude.

We prefered CC beause it was more laid-back, slower pace of life, and we enjoyed a relaxing time there.

Hope that helps.

9. Re: caye caulker or ambergis caye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, September 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Caye Caulker