We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 12 first time in Belize April 1 for 10 days.

Which San Pedro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Olympia, Washington
Family of 12 first time in Belize April 1 for 10 days.

Hi,

We are a family of 7 adults and 5 kids ranging from 2-15 coming to San Pedro April 1. We are staying at Playa Blanca villa. Any reviews on this home, close restaurants, shopping, or things to do near the home.

Any good Beaches?

Food:

I was told there was a restaurant with tables in the water, is there one? We are looking for good food, street vendors, bars, or sit down restaurants.

Excursions:

Some of us really want to do the blue hole. Any suggestions. are there Arial tours. Not all are experienced divers. What other excursions are a must!!

Anything we must see or do or stay away from? Any advice. Thank you so much looking forward to our trip.

North Liberty, Iowa
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 9
1. Re: Family of 12 first time in Belize April 1 for 10 days.

Playa Blanca is six miles north of town. I understand the price includes a boat and captain for fishing and such. Not sure if that also includes trips to town.

I'm not sure what restaurants would be close enough to walk. Maybe the one at Portofino or Mata Chica, but, I'm not sure.

I've only been that far north by boat, not really familiar with the beaches.

You can snorkel the Blue Hole. It's not a dive for beginners. Even for snorkelers, it's about US$200.00 a person. More for divers.

You can charter a plane for an aerial tour. Or, there are helicopter tours with Astrum Helicopters. Expensive though.

http://www.astrumhelicopters.com/

I love the day trip to the Mayan ruins at Lamanai. Long day, about 12 hours, but, lots of fun. You'll usually see howler monkeys, crocodiles, spider monkeys, lots of birds. Last couple of times we've seen manatees on the way. Sometimes dolphins.

Enjoy your trip.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
reviews: 6
2. Re: Family of 12 first time in Belize April 1 for 10 days.

Not sure about restaurant with tables in the water, but if there is one I would love to be there for breakfast right now.

North Liberty, Iowa
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
3. Re: Family of 12 first time in Belize April 1 for 10 days.

I think if you eat at Licks, you could put the table close enough to/in the water, that you could get your toes wet. However, I read something about them having problems with using the beachfront for their tables, so, not sure that's possible.

tennessee
reviews: 3
4. Re: Family of 12 first time in Belize April 1 for 10 days.

You must be talking about the Lazy Lizard on Caye Caulker. They have picnic tables in the water at the cut. It's a fun day trip and easy to get to from San Pedro. Hol Chan is by far the excursion to take in Belize. It has some of the best snorkeling in the Caribbean and if you go with Alphonse, you might get to pet a nurse shark and sting ray! That was an awesome day.

North Liberty, Iowa
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
5. Re: Family of 12 first time in Belize April 1 for 10 days.

The Lazy Lizard does have tables in the water, but, I doubt the waiters are going to bring your food out there.

As for petting the rays and nurse sharks, I deliberately look for tour operators who don't touch the sea life.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
reviews: 1
6. Re: Family of 12 first time in Belize April 1 for 10 days.

Rojo lounge would be a short boat ride. Amazing food and they do have tables in the pool that you can eat on.

B.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 7
7. Re: Family of 12 first time in Belize April 1 for 10 days.

The town itself is not ideal for young kids. Lots of golf carts and traffic. The beach includes an "unsavory" element that may accost you for money or to buy items. Will want to coach the kids on how to respond - and there may be unwanted attention on any teenaged females you'll hve with you. If you are staying in a more remote/secure resort area, this shouldn't be a problem.

It's beautiful, you'll love it & have a great time - these are just things to keep in mind w/ such a large group!

San Francisco, CA
reviews: 5
8. Re: Family of 12 first time in Belize April 1 for 10 days.

My boyfriend and I just returned from San Pedro yesterday. We found the beach vendors to be exremely mellow and most people to be very friendly. Sure, a couple of guys quietly offered to sell us joints, but it was all very low-key and unaggressive.

I love animals, and kids generally do, too. There's a vendor near Estel's restaurant with a pet coatimundi...give the owner a small donation and you can have the coati sit on your shoulders (or head). Also, at the Sunset restaurant on the lagoon side, if you buy some food you can feed tarpon (BIG fish) by holding sardines a couple of feet above the water. They'll jump up and eat from your hand. Don't let the 2-year-old try it. :-)

Ontario Canada
9. Re: Family of 12 first time in Belize April 1 for 10 days.

Please do not have your picture taken with the coati. It is not a tame or trained animal (it is merely captive) and has been known to bite. In addition, I have seen it urinate and/or defecate on people as they are having their picture taken....not a very nice souvenir.

As for the tarpon feeding, definitely an adults only thing. Those fish have big, sharp teeth and could easily take off a child's finger if they hold the bait improperly or don't release it in time. Trust me and learn from my painful mistake!

San Francisco, CA
reviews: 5
10. Re: Family of 12 first time in Belize April 1 for 10 days.

The main danger with the tarpon is the surprise factor as a four foot fish jumps out of the water. An older child would do just fine. According to the restaurant staff and the internet, tarpon have tiny teeth that give a sandpaper like effect if they catch your finger. You hold your hand flat when holding the bait so as not to have a finger extended.