We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Ambegris Caye

Which San Pedro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seal Beach, CA
reviews: 3
Honeymoon in Ambegris Caye

Looking for a great spot to stay at that won't break the bank. Portofino looks like a good option. Have 7 days should I spend the whole time in Ambergris Caye? Any other suggestions? This will be March 12-19, 2006.

Thanks for your help.

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 9
1. Re: Honeymoon in Ambegris Caye

I've never stayed at Portofino, but my preferance is to be closer to town. Maybe, since it is your honeymoon, you will prefer being secluded, but if you want to sample different restaurants and go out dancing at night, you should consider staying closer. Look at Victoria House. If you don't need a resort type experience, the Palms has lovely condos, as does Xanadu.

As for spending the entire week on AC, it depends on what you want to do. If you want to go cave tubing, see ruins, maybe go to the ATM cave, you should probably split between the Cayo and AC. You can do trips to the ruins from AC, we went to Lamanai a couple weeks ago and it was an awesome trip.

slc, utah
2. Re: Honeymoon in Ambegris Caye

Hey I am going to belize for my honeymoon March 13-20th. If you find anything out on good accomadations for fairly cheap, let me know.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
reviews: 4
3. Re: Honeymoon in Ambegris Caye

Portofino or Mata Chica are both great ptions for small boutique inns, north of town and away from people. Neither have a pool. Or Victoria House, closer and more accessible to San Pedro town.

reviews: 4
4. Re: Honeymoon in Ambegris Caye

My husband and I spent 2 weeks on Ambergris Caye for our honeymoon. We spent the first week at Portofino, and the second week at Victoria House.

We were a little nervous about making a reservation at Portofino. First we reserved a room at Journey's End, but cancelled our reservation based on some of the reviews on this site (and were glad we did when we visited the resort during our trip).

We ended up loving Portofino and didn't want to move to Victoria House. At Portofino we stayed in the Orchid suite which I highly recommend. The room is the full top floor of a two story building right on the water. It is a bit rustic, for example when we were there the water in the shower was salt water, but it was really beautiful.

Portofino is a little far from town, but they have a boat that makes regular trips to town for guests (for free) as well as an island ferry. You can also rent golf carts and drive into town if you want. The trip is bumpy and dusty, but was really fun. We stopped at all of the other resorts and checked them out on the way. Also, there isn't a lot to do in town, so it didn't make a difference to us to be a little out of the way.

They also have a lot of small (and free) perks, like use of kayaks and snorkel gear for a great snorkel site right in front of the hotel, as well as free computer usage.

Victoria House is pretty and the pool was great. The room we stayed in was really small and dark, so after staying in the suite at Portofino it was a major step down for us.

In any case, you should be happy with either, but my husband and I both recommend Portofino. Have a great time!