We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling by the piers???

Which San Pedro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canandaigua, New...
reviews: 37
Snorkeling by the piers???

Well we are at Corona del Mar and just walked along the entire beach area and saw absolutely no-one snorkeling nor swimming around Ramon's or any where during my 1 hour walk heading north.

Edmonton...
1. Re: Snorkeling by the piers???

So what does this mean?

NYC
reviews: 7
2. Re: Snorkeling by the piers???

I was just at corona last week. I agree, there's no good snorkeling spots right at the beachfront.

Canada
reviews: 3
3. Re: Snorkeling by the piers???

First, one needs to understand that the real snorkelling is out at the reef. That's where the coral is. It takes a boat to get out there unless you are staying further up island and then you perhaps you could take a kayak.

However, if you are just wanting to spend a bit of time in the water near shore and so want to do some "town" snorkelling with any chance of seeing fish, then, the best places to do that are off the docks. Ramon's is still great. Lots of fish and such around and under the dock. It's an artificial reef environment, so to speak.

All that said, when I was in Belize in late November, Ramon's swimming platform was missing. As I understand it, one of the hurricanes (or both of them), this past summer, separated it from the maindock and blew it up onto the beach. Ramon's had not replaced it. Myself, I very carefully jumped off a lower part and snorkelled all around the end of the dock. To get back to shore, I had to snorkel all the way in because there's no way to get back up onto to the dock. It wasn't a difficult swim, but a bit disconcerting from time to time because of the turtle grass tickling me.

So, if you didn't see anyone snorkelling or in the water at the end of Ramon's dock, that's probably why.

Amigos del Mar has a swimming area, with steps into the water. There could be some decent 'town' there too. The end of Paradise Villas dock used to have some artificial reef bells that attracted the juvenile fish and I've had some good paddles out there. I haven't been to that spot for quite awhile though.

Minnesota
4. Re: Snorkeling by the piers???

We were down in Nov and noticed the lack of swimming platform at Ramons. We zipped over to the Paradise Villas pier, went in there, and snorkeled over to the Wet Willies pier (naturally watching for boat traffic) Under wet willies is a lot of debris from, oh, I think the storm of 2000, and a lot of fish of all different sorts.

Canandaigua, New...
reviews: 37
5. Re: Snorkeling by the piers???

Thanks Seashell for your info.. We did 3 snorkeling trips and saw lots of coral, fish, sting rays, nurse sharks, lobster, groupers, you name it we saw it. .

We did see a couple snorkeling just a couple of days ago by Xanadu and Caribbean Villas pier.

As a newbie to the island I thought at first I would see lots of people snorkeling off by the piers and had actually gone swimming in the roped off area of Corona and it was very cloudy and couldn't see a thing with my mask on.

Today is our last full day on the island and it has been pouring since this morning... still waiting to see if I can do some snorkeling later today by said pier.

Canada
reviews: 3
6. Re: Snorkeling by the piers???

Hope you get to enjoy the snorkelling on your last day, but with the rain, it is likely to be murky conditions, no matter where you enter the water. If I were you, I'd be more inclined to wander into town, do some last minute souvenir shopping (Marie's hot sauce) or head to BC's bar and have a couple of drinks waiting for the weather to clear. Tonight the Punta Boyz are playing at Crazy Canuk's. You should stop in for a bit and get a last feel of Belize.

7. Re: Snorkeling by the piers???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, September 17, 2009