We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free

Which Ambergris Caye hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
bend, or
Duty Free

Hello-

We are flying out of Houston, Texas then to Belize City then to San Pedro. My question is....can I buy alcohol in the Duty Free store in Houston and take to Belize. I dont think I will be able to put it in my luggage so it would be a carry on. Will Belize confinscate it when I get there or will it be ok?

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
reviews: 4
1. Re: Duty Free

Bring it, no problem.

Washington
2. Re: Duty Free

Do you know how much duty free liquor per person we are allowed into Belize?

Washington
3. Re: Duty Free

We just returned from Belize yesturday. In case anyone is interested we went to the duty free in Huston Airport. They told us we could bring 2 liters a piece to Belize. You pick it up at the gate so there is no problem with security. But when we reach Customs at Belize City Airport we were informed we are allowed only 1 liter per person. The girl in our line was very nice and since it was our first time there and were misinformed, she let us through. Our friends on the other hand had a customs agent who was not very friendly and he made them go pay duty. $18 US for duty on a $8 bottle vodka.

He also went through every piece of their luggage, and was picking on them about food and spices they brought even though none was fresh and allowed.

Once you are in Belize you can buy alcohol at the airport ( not duty free) and carry it on the flight to San Pedro in your carry on. You can also take alcohol back to the main land on tropic air. No security check there. We took a whole case of Belikin we bought at the coca cola distributor in San Pedro (4 blocks from the airport, just ask any one for directions) back to Belize City on tropic air, checked baggage. We were being picked up at the airport and straight to a jungle lodge so it was great to take it with us, crate and all. Felt wierd to check a whole case of beer bottles and it came out intact and all there.

If you return you empties to the coca cola plant Belikin is only $24 US case. Best price we found.

4. Re: Duty Free

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, August 21, 2009