We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to see and do on and around Ambergis Caye

Which Ambergris Caye hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
reviews: 21
Things to see and do on and around Ambergis Caye

Hello,

My friend and I are staying at Ramon's from Feb26-March 4th. We are looking for suggestions for the following things. Keep in mind we are not big drinkers, love off the beten path places and love taking pictures. With that said here's waht we are looking for:

Great snorkeling companies that go to the Blue Hole and Hol Chan

beaches with picturesque blue waters and not a lot of seaweed

any day trips to islands or cayes around Ambergris

great restaurants for fresh seafood and local cuisine

if we get golf cart areas on the island we shouldnt miss

where to do souvenior shopping, preferably non touristy

any suggestions on helicopter rides over the blue hole

bike rental?

and any other tips, suggestions or comments are welcome:)

Thank you very much in advance:)

7 replies to this topic
Sedona, Arizona
reviews: 20
1. Re: Things to see and do on and around Ambergis Caye

You should like Ramon's as it is a very nice property, nice beach and in a better area .

We just returned and a few notes

Go to caulker caye for the day

Helicopter is a waste, spend the money on the lady Leslie catamaran. They will take you snorkeling to the hol chan area and caye caulker for lunch......they are very professional and serve good snacks and drinks

Bring ponchos and good bug spray

Use the water taxis from the restaurants for dinner...great for a clear evening

Bikes can be used on the beach or the street

Buy the bulk of your hard liquor at the duty free shop, right where you pick up your luggage

Have fun!

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 62
2. Re: Things to see and do on and around Ambergis Caye

Something else to consider -- Unless you will also be spending some time in the jungle, consider taking a day trip to visit some Mayan ruins. There are many tour companies that will do trips to Altun Ha and Lamanai. We spent 5 days in western Belize before going to the Caye, so we did not visit either of those sites (we visited a number of others), but I could not imagine going to Belize and not seeing some Mayan ruins! Quite spectacular, and if you're looking for great photo ops, you can't get much better!

Santa Clara...
reviews: 17
3. Re: Things to see and do on and around Ambergis Caye

Agree with #2. Lamanai is a long but feasible day trip from Ambergis Caye. I will write up our day when I get settled back home and after work.

Santa Clara...
reviews: 17
4. Re: Things to see and do on and around Ambergis Caye

The beach in front of Ramon's is probably the best in town. It is very remarkable that they have bounced back so quickly, at a deep investment I am sure. I hope they recover soon.

Many many reputable outfitters on the island to do activities. I am sure the Ramon staff will assist you.

The manatee tour though may only be offered by Sea-rious. I enjoyed this immensely and highly recommend it. Long day on a boat though.

Sesfood - Waruguma and the Pupusa place across from it on Middle St (Pescador) and Bucaneer. Loc and fresh and easy on the wallet. Elvi's was also very good with a great ambiance. Not seafood but we wanted to try El Fogon by the airport after we smelled it driving by but didn't have a chance.

Other tips - you will sunburn even under cloudy skies. The boat rides can be cold so bring warm and windproof clothes for the ride. We bought dry clothes and 2 sets of towels for our multiple stop trips.

Edited: 3:03 pm, January 22, 2014
ohio
reviews: 21
5. Re: Things to see and do on and around Ambergis Caye

thank you everyone for the tips. I'm getting really excited. Thanks for the tips on the food:) Any recommendations for tour companies to use. I am interested in finding some remote islands and snorkeling for sharks, rays ect.. Hoping someone can suggest something that won't be a huge boat and with tons of people. Any other things to do and see would be greatly appreciated. I will just be getting in from Tikal so I'll have my fill of Mayan Ruins:)

Thanks in advance:)

San Pedro, Belize
reviews: 27
6. Re: Things to see and do on and around Ambergis Caye

You can easily book a private guide with a small boat and no other people to take you out exploring, snorkelling, swimming and fishing. Ramon's provides a great service and will be able to arrange anything you might want.

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
reviews: 229
7. Re: Things to see and do on and around Ambergis Caye

If you have a day to spend inland, ATM is amazing. Hol Chan Marine REserve is awesome too.

Reply to: Things to see and do on and around Ambergis Caye
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted