We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

female traveler

Which Ambergris Caye hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington
reviews: 2
female traveler

Hi,

I may be traveling to Ambergris Caye in October for some diving. However, one of my female friends traveled there a few years ago and said she felt harassed by men most of the time she was out. They were either whistling at her or always trying to get her attention or start conversations.

I was a Peace Corps volunteer in West Africa, so I dealt with sexual harassment on a daily basis. But, that was over 10 years ago and it was work rather than vacation.

I'm curious whether other single women have experienced such harassment in Ambergris Caye and if so, is it significant enough to choose a different location?

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
reviews: 3
1. Re: female traveler

I think you could possibly pass men who might passively make comments, as would happen anywhere, but doubt any that will harrass or bother to distraction.

North Liberty, Iowa
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 9
2. Re: female traveler

I'm guessing I'm much, much older than you. I've spend weeks at a time by myself on Ambergris Caye, and, never had any problems. A very infrequent comment, but, that's it. I tend to speak to most people I meet, most respond in kind.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
reviews: 6
3. Re: female traveler

I will say sometimes it can happen but for the most part as a girl I feel safe and not hassled by guys on Ambergris Caye.

Washington DC...
reviews: 6
4. Re: female traveler

We were in San Pedro for two weeks over Christmas/ New Years 2012. Many days my daughters (16 and 18) and I ventured downtown without my husband and walked around. None of us experienced anything that came close to harassment. I think San Pedro requires the same level of common sense as anywhere else (in or out of the US) with the way you dress and behave.

Chicago, IL
reviews: 128
5. Re: female traveler

I'm a female in her first-half 30's who traveled to Belize alone in 2011 and never once felt like a piece of meat or was disrespected by catcalls. I'm not sure where your friend stayed, but I certainly wouldn't discourage you from canceling your trip altogether.

San Francisco...
6. Re: female traveler

I've traveled alone to other places, so I understand the concern. I never felt unsafe, but my DH made an interesting observation our first night. Our hotel was in San Pedro (north of downtown but south of the bridge) and the hotel people recommended walking home along the beach at night. We wandered out in the early evening and then walked home at night on the first "interior" road over from the beach. DH noticed that earlier there had been women and children out, but after dark, there were only men, hanging out in small groups and chatting with each other. I joked that maybe the women were all home cooking dinner, but DH wondered if the women knew something we didn't. When we asked the hotel owner (a female, American-ex-pat) she shrugged it off, but reiterated the walk-along-the-beach-at-night comment. (I think I'd heard that here as well). When I wandered around alone during the day I never felt unsafe at all, but I'm middle-aged. In other news....we met a younger women traveling solo (she'd done volunteer work Guatemala and was traveling around Belize). She seemed very friendly and didn't report having problems. So I suspect experienced travelers already know the standard precautions. You'll have a great time, I'm sure.

7. Re: female traveler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 18, 2014