We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling vs. Diving?

Which Ambergris Caye hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Ky
reviews: 1
Snorkeling vs. Diving?

4 of my friends have had a trip planned for quite some time for Belize and Honduras for August. I am a late addition to the trip and am not scuba certified and won't be able to get certified before August. While they are Scuba diving where are some good places to do snorkeling and what kind of price range can I expect for snorkeling? Are there any tours that would make it be possible to be on the same boat as them when they go out scuba diving when I'm just doing snorkeling? Thanks for any info!

b.c.
1. Re: Snorkeling vs. Diving?

I was down in Belize in january and both snorkeled and dove.I could not see any reason why a dive company would not take you along.You snorkel by the boat while the others dove.We were with a small outfit out of thatchcayeresort and when we dove the others on our boat swam and snorkeled.You are usually in a reasonably shallow area right near the reef when diving so the snorkeling is pretty good also.Enjoy we saw great things weather we diving or snorkeling

London UK
reviews: 25
2. Re: Snorkeling vs. Diving?

Nearly all dive schools have combined scuba/snorkling trips. A popular one is to dive at Hol Chan and snorkel at Shark Ray Alley. Whilst your friends dive Hol Chan you snorkel. At Hol Chan the viz is excellent, the sea life numerous and varied and as the depth is only 28 feet a diver's tank lasts much longer than the deeper dives. Aqua Dives charges about US$25 for a snorkeling trip to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley and US$50 for a dive at Hol Chan and snorkeling at Shark Ray Alley.

When you arrive at San Pedro, find the tourist information shop in Front Street and amongst the flyers you should find some discount vouchers for some of the dive schools. As your party want to dive and snorkel then a 10% discount starts being very useful.

You may want to do your Open Water dive course there and if you do the course work in advance then you should be able to complete the course in two days instead of three.

Have fun.

Louisville, Ky
3. Re: Snorkeling vs. Diving?

Thanks for the info. Since they will be out diving most of the day I was worried I wouldn't be able to be on the same boat with them. It sounds like I can snorkel in the same areas where they are diving.

Houston, Texas
4. Re: Snorkeling vs. Diving?

We just got back from Ambergris Caye and the snorkel/dive combo described in the post above is the ONLY outing that we could find that combined snorkellers and scuba divers in one boat. We checked with 3 different companies and they all did exactly the same thing and the price was $35us to $40US for the snorkellers (higher price for the divers). We did it using Bottom Time Dive shop (near Banyan Bay hotel) and the snorkellers said it was the best ever and the divers said it was the worst ever. (The two divers in our group probably would have been happier with a more advanced dive or one where the beginning scuba divers didn't hold up their dive. Also they really struggled having to go against the current at the end of the dive and didn't understand why the divemaster didn't have them go against the current at the beginning when they weren't as tired). I would say if the divers in your group are beginners the Hol Chan reserve/Shark Ray Alley combo would be perfect for everyone. Just keep in mind the divers are paying more money but really not having a much different view than the snorkellers above them.

London UK
reviews: 25
5. Re: Snorkeling vs. Diving?

Glad that you have been reassured that you can snorkel whilst your friends dive. For the divers, if they are Advanced Open Water certified, should know that in currents they drift dive being swept along with the current, fairly gentle of Ambergris Caye, and the divemaster in the boat follows the bubbles and is therefore ready to pick up the divers when they surface. I did it a couple times last January and it was great for covering a greater distance, courtesy of the current, and then surfacing with the boat just there.

6. Re: Snorkeling vs. Diving?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, October 03, 2009