We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Taxi or Airplane?

Which Ambergris Caye hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 8
Water Taxi or Airplane?

Should we take a plane from Belize City to Ambergris Caye or should we brave the water taxi? We'll be going next month. Are the water taxis covered? And, if they aren't, what are the odds of us getting rained on? What would you do?

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 9
1. Re: Water Taxi or Airplane?

We always fly. It's not easy getting to Belize from the midwest, and by the time I hit Belize City, I'm ready for a drink at Jets and a short wait for the very short flight to San Pedro.

Plus, the flight is beautiful, and only takes 15 minutes.

Ontario Canada
2. Re: Water Taxi or Airplane?

I fly too.

By the time I get to Belize City, I've been in transit for, give or take, 10 hours. The last thing I want or need to start my vacation is 30 minutes to go through customs, a 45 minute taxi to the marine terminal and a 90 minute (or more) bumpy, possibly wet, water taxi ride to the caye.

This doesn't take into consideration where you are staying in San Pedro. It could be another 15 minutes (minimum) to an hour and a half to arrive at your accommodation.

Fly.

San Diego, CA
reviews: 7
3. Re: Water Taxi or Airplane?

I'm looking forward to our first trip to AC in 11 days. These message boards have been great in helping us plan. One of the first and (almost) unanimous suggestions I've read was taking the plane rather than the water taxi. I guess some things are worth the extra expense.

Chicago, Illinois
4. Re: Water Taxi or Airplane?

Yeah, flying is what we were probably going to do but I wanted to get some advice. So, thanks. Flying it will be. It will be a long day so the quicker we get to our destination the better.

We arrive at 3:10 p.m. How long should I give it to get thru customs and make our connecting flight to San Pedro? I can't imagine it will take that long.

We are staying at Hotel Del Rio right in San Pedro. How far of a ride is that from the airport when we land in Ambergris?

Thanks in advance for the help. Cheers!

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
5. Re: Water Taxi or Airplane?

Tropic and Maya Air say you need an hour between your international arrival and when you fly to your destination in Belize.

If you're arriving at 3:10, I'm guessing you're coming through Dallas on American. For us, that flight has been late at least half the time we've flown it.

So, I booked the 4:40 flight to Ambergris. If it's on time, and we get through immigration and customs quickly, I'll try and get on the 3:40.

The airstrip is on the south side of San Pedro, Hotel del Rio on the north. I'd say 10 minutes in a cab. The area around the airport can get congested with cabs and golf carts.

Boise,Idaho
reviews: 5
6. Re: Water Taxi or Airplane?

Has anyone had a problem with luggage limits on the tropic or Maya flights? Is there a limit?

My fiance and I will be in Belize for 14 days, and will probably have quite a bit of luggage.

b.c.
reviews: 1
7. Re: Water Taxi or Airplane?

just got back from belize....we flew over to caye caulker from belize city...it takes about 7 minutes...san pedro is farther but it would take about 10 minutes....if you take a boat,youwill have to take a cab from airport to dock then boat which will take at least a hour or better...boats are half covered in case of rain...if you dont mind a fee of about $40.00 us the plane is the way to go

Canandaigua, New...
reviews: 36
8. Re: Water Taxi or Airplane?

We were just there a couple of weeks ago and the last 2 days/evenings Jan 20-21 it just rained and rained.

It's nice to get into the Intl airport and then just slide over to Tropic or Maya air in the next hallway no fuss of getting a taxi and going to another means of transportation.

After I weighed the pros and cons I was looking at only about a savings of $25 and more time spent running around getting to said boat.

We had 3 suitcases and 2 carry ons.

I think I only wore 3 short sets and tops and one beach cover up the whole week I was there. My husband brought way too much even though I advised against it.. he only wore about 3 shorts and tops too.

No need to bring much in way of attire here.

One suitcase had all the snorkeling , water shoes and spare sneakers and couple of snorkeling vests plus towels which we didn't really need.

Chicago, Illinois
9. Re: Water Taxi or Airplane?

Thanks everyone for all of your advice!

jeanh - yep, you guessed it. We are flying AA and conneting thru Dallas. You must've been to Belize a ton of times to know the flights! That being said, I'll take your advice on booking a 4:40 flight to Ambergris Caye. I'd better get on that right away.

Glad to hear the hotel is only 10 minutes away. We'll be glad to get there asap after traveling most of the day. How much should a cab run me?

Curious - (and you don't have to answer if you don't want) what part of Iowa are you from? N, S, E, W?

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
10. Re: Water Taxi or Airplane?

It seems like we've been going to Belize forever, in reality, it's only been five or six years. But, two or three times a year, so it adds up. Mostly through Dallas, occasionally via Cancun, then the bus.

I live between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids. About 60 miles from the Quad Cities.

Three more days and it's back to Belize for me.