We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 families @ christmas, where to stay, katie please help?

Which Ambergris Caye hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
buffalo grove
3 families @ christmas, where to stay, katie please help?

We have 3 families, 14 total, kids are all teens 12-18, coming to Belize next Christmas/New Years. We can't wait to come but after exhaustive research we're desperate to finalize choice of where to stay that will best meet everyone's needs. Ideal hang would be upscale (for Belize) but not ridiculously priced; great beach for walking/swimming, near enough to town and/or other restaurants/nightlife, or able to get there w/o ridiculous hassle for a few nights off property here and there. Will want to dive/do mainland activities too. We're easygoing, fun, well-traveled, but wrestling with whether to make convenience of location v. of accommodations a priority.

So far, on Ambergris debating between villa @ hotel, either CasaBlanca, Portofino, or Pelican Reef -- 1st 2 have better configurations for large group but concerned re: boat access only. Can we just pay for pvt. water taxi on nights we want to go elsewhere?

Or would we be better w/ villa/hotel on Placencia to keep things simple tho less to do? Where?

Katievalk especially and anyone else w/ suggestions, pls help!

pvt e-mail to tfhshopping@mac.com is welcome too!

Thanks!

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 10
1. Re: 3 families @ christmas, where to stay, katie please help?

I have an admitted bias, but I can't imagine putting a bunch of teenagers miles away from town with only boat access. I wouldn't want them out at night, but, during the day and early evening, I'd want to be located where they can get to town on foot.

Are you trying to find a place where you all are sharing the same space? Have you checked out the lodging page here?

ambergriscaye.com/pages/lodge/lodging.html

There are several properties with three bedroom condos, Xanadu and Banana Beach come to mind. Many more with two bedroom options.

I've only been to Placencia once, will let others help you there.

Canada
reviews: 3
2. Re: 3 families @ christmas, where to stay, katie please help?

I just saw the most amazing suite at the Tides. Well, two suites actually. One is on the mainfloor of the hotel and the other was upstairs in a house next door. The one in the house next door was huge, 3 bedrooms and a futon in the living area. (no AC but plenty of breeze)

The suite in the hotel proper, was a very large two bedroom (with AC). The location is great and has a decent pool.

Did you look at Banyan Bay?

The Palms? You could also mix it up with a family or two staying at the Palms and the other(s) staying next door at Belizean Reef Suites.

Wisconsin
3. Re: 3 families @ christmas, where to stay, katie please help?

Xanadu is great for kids.

Canada
reviews: 3
4. Re: 3 families @ christmas, where to stay, katie please help?

Xanadu is a lovely place but if I had teens, I'd probably want to be closer to town, so they could walk about during the day, if they wanted to and I'd not have to worry about them quite as much.

Down by the cut there's a kids' park with a basket ball court, so again, staying closer to town would be good for them that way. They can just walk up the beach and back to get to the park.

5. Re: 3 families @ christmas, where to stay, katie please help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, August 17, 2009