We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hamanasi - worth the expense?

Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 8
Hamanasi - worth the expense?

My 12 year old daughter took the initiative to plan a trip. She picked Belize and in particular Hamansi. Looks lovely but ouch on the nightly rate for 3 in the treehouses! We can afford it and tend to favor nicely appointed accommodations but the cost seems high. Is this resort really worth it? Are there other equally nice and less costly options? Any apartments? Wherever we go, I would not choose the all inclusive because we like to do our own thing dor dinner. Thanks for our input!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 137
1. Re: Hamanasi - worth the expense?

Here's the place we loved in Hopkins:

www.hopkinsinn.com

Davie, Florida
reviews: 2
2. Re: Hamanasi - worth the expense?

how did it look on youtube?

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
reviews: 4
3. Re: Hamanasi - worth the expense?

I've booked plenty of very happy clients into Hamanasi who felt the hotel offered good value for the money. Tree houses in the back are nice; the beachfront rooms have better breezes and views of the sea

Hopkins
reviews: 1
4. Re: Hamanasi - worth the expense?

Hopkins Inn is great and there are other options for nice beach front cabanas in Hopkins I don't know of any apartments for short term rentals in Hopkins. If you want a full service hotel-resort, Hamanasi is a good choice. People with children and honeymooners who stay in the tree houses seem to really like it. If you are planning to do tours, their tours are reasonably priced and they have some deals (I would guess time of year governs this) which combine room and tours. Although their food is good and lunch meals are generous (good value for the money) you are wise to leave the door open for meals. There are lots of good restaurants in the Village of Hopkins, both for "western style" and authentic Garifuna and Belizean food.

San Francisco...
5. Re: Hamanasi - worth the expense?

I hear what you're saying. We had a hard time choosing lodging in Hopkins and if we went back, I'm still not sure where we'd stay. There are a lot of high end resorts at the ends of town, and then more modest places in town. We thought the prices at Hamanasi seemed high. We are not resort people and prefer staying in condos and taking care of ourselves (maybe people who book through travel agents prefer being pampered at a resort?). A lot of the resort amenities would be lost on us. We chose to stay at Almond Beach (cheaper than Hamanasi) and got a suite just a few feet from the water. It had a small fridge in the bathroom but the promised microwave wasn't there. Overall, it was still too much of a resort for our taste, but I've since talked to people who LOVED it, so it depends on what you like. We looked into Hopkins Inn but I'm not sure that would have been a better choice for us. (My DH has chronic back problems and often needs to rest it after long hikes (etc), so it's nice to have a place where he can rest and still enjoy the view. The photos on the Hopkins Inn website showed that the beds were tucked in back and there wasn't a sofa, so if he needed to rest on a decent piece of furniture he couldn't enjoy a view. This may not be a concern for you. In that regard, Almond Beach was a great choice for us, big open veranda and sliding glass doors, with a sofa, good chair and bed that all had a view. ). BTW, the people in Hopkins are very warm and the local restaurants were great. The main road into Hopkins is bumpy but we found that the one further south was much smoother.

Edited: 2:23 pm, September 19, 2012
belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
6. Re: Hamanasi - worth the expense?

People who book thru travel agents want up to date reliable info, in any price range, and someone to handle details and issues, should a problem occur

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Tuamotu Archipelago
7. Re: Hamanasi - worth the expense?

Yes Katie. Definitely!!! And also an area of travel expert. And someone to work thru or better yet prevent glitches.

San Francisco...
8. Re: Hamanasi - worth the expense?

Katie, I'm sorry. I only had one experience with a travel agent (years ago, booking an anniversary trip for my parents) and her lodging options were all large resorts, including many high end resorts. I didn't know that agents book at all price ranges and offer more modest options. My bad. I appreciate all the tips and suggestions you make it here. Thank you for that and again my apologies for misspeaking.

Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 8
9. Re: Hamanasi - worth the expense?

Thanks so much everyone (and I really do appreciate the detailed input from "girl wonder"). Now I have to put my "thinking cap" on and decide. A friend threw me a "ringer" by suggesting Roatan Island in Honduras so more to think about!

Layton, Utah
reviews: 121
10. Re: Hamanasi - worth the expense?

Have you looked ar Placenia? Its down the road from Hopkins. Supposed to have great beaches. Check out www.bluemooncabana.com a private house for rent.