We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shallow water snorkeling

Which Belize hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Central Illinois
Shallow water snorkeling

Is there anywhere good that you can go snorkeling where there are areas you can stand on the bottom?

Bruceton Mills...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Shallow water snorkeling

Not that the snorkeling is very good.

Why?

Are you worried about your swimming ability? I'm not a strong swimmer and usually at least have a life jacket handy. The water down there is so salty that I find it hard to not float. The fins allow you a lot of movement.

You can probably snorkel some from the beach and near the piers. The water has turtle grass in it where its shallow. Rays have been know to settle down in it.

Central Illinois
2. Re: Shallow water snorkeling

Thanks AKJ,

According to the tour companies Shark Ray alley is shallow enought o stand on the bottom. I had since read that the ones near the beaches are pretty grassy.

My wife has panic attacks if she gets off a boat into water over her head. She has to cling to me for about 1/2 hour b4 she gets over it. Its looks like to get good snorkelinf we will just have to suffer through that.

Thanks again

Canada
3. Re: Shallow water snorkeling

Shark/Ray Alley does have areas that are more shallow than others, but I don't recall ever being able to stand. I'm 5'3" . . so maybe taller people make out better. :^)

Bruceton Mills...
4. Re: Shallow water snorkeling

I don't recall many of the shark ray alleys being that shallow. In 4 trips to the reef and related places, I didn't see anything that shallow. The more shallow places also are likely to have coral so you can't stand up anyway

There's supposed to be a place on the back side of Caye Caulker that is shallow and has some fish but I don't know for sure where it is.

Does she have that same fear if she has a life jacket on? If not, that would be the answer. Using one wouldn't be an issue if that's what it took. She's missing a lot if she doesn't get to go.

Bradenton, Florida
Destination Expert
for Bradenton, Anna Maria Island
reviews: 29
5. Re: Shallow water snorkeling

You might try to find Tulu when you get to Ambergris. Ask any of the locals, and they will help you find him. I had the same problem, and he tied off at the perfect, sandy bottomed spot with about 4 feet of water. Fantastic snorkeling! From there he led me out to the reef and back. I agree, that jumping into water over your head, even with a jacket, is very intimidating. Also, at Ramon's beach there is a bit of walk in snorkeling. No big fish or anything, but plenty of room to practice, and a few things to see.

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 10
6. Re: Shallow water snorkeling

If you walk in at Ramon's, remember to shuffle your feet. There are rays in that sand....wouldn't be fun to step on one.

7. Re: Shallow water snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, August 24, 2009