We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go after spending a week in Belize?

Which Belize hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 2
Where to go after spending a week in Belize?

I'll be visiting Belize for my second time at the end of April and spending 4 nights in Hopkins and then another 3 nights in Placencia, all with friends. I want to continue on my own for another week or two, but don't know where to start! I haven't explored any of central or south america, and would love any recommendations on where some good/easy destinations might be for a single female in her early 30s.

I'm partial to beaches and chill/laid back atmospheres over parties. I'm fairly adventurous, but I also just spent 4.5 months in SE Asia, so I'm not looking for a huge endeavor this time around. Just want to make the most of my flight down to Belize!

Thanks in advance!

6 replies to this topic
Hollywood, Florida
reviews: 36
1. Re: Where to go after spending a week in Belize?

Well Hopkins and the Placencia peninsula have the best beaches on the mainland (minus hidden gems like Sabal Beach in Punta Negra). I don't consider Kanantik Reef and Jungle Resort to be in Hopkins, so that's another awesome beach there.

If you are spending the last few days in Placencia, there is a boat that goes to Puerto Cortes, Honduras. From there you can go to the island of Roatan or the mainland beaches of Tela.

If you are spending the last few days in Hopkins, I would suggest spending 3 or 4 days to see the Mayan Ruins, Caves, waterfalls, Botanic Gardens and reserves around San Ignacio. Then go off to see Tikal in Guatemala.

San Pedro, Belize
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 68
2. Re: Where to go after spending a week in Belize?

You didn't mention spending any time on Ambergris, but I'm up at X'tan ha and loving it! Another of my fave places is to pop up to Mahuhual, Mexico. My friend, Jsime, has an amazing beach club there called Nohoch Kay. It's a chill place to enjoy on your own, I usually stay at Hotelito. I also travel to Cuba often via Cancun and it's tons of fun. Not exactly what you asked for, but those are some of my top spots. PM if you want any specifics on those ideas.

Cheers,

Stace

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
reviews: 4
3. Re: Where to go after spending a week in Belize?

Go inland to either Toledo or Cayo

Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 26
4. Re: Where to go after spending a week in Belize?

We have been in Hopkins since January, and have been to Placencia a few times. Assuming you survive the sand fleas on the beach at both places, and make sure you get ice cream at Tutti Frutti (Placencia), I would head off to San Ignacio. From there you can easily see the ruins of Cahal Pech and Xununtanich, both worthwhile. Then it's a short trip to the Guatemala border. After crossing, take a bus to El Remate on the north side of Lake Peten Itza. If you want to chill, can't do better than Hotel Mon Ami. Very laid back, reasonable, good food. From there you can do a trip to Tikal. Tikal is a must see. Having been to every major, and most minor Mayan ruins, this is spectacular. Then if you have the time, get to Yax Ha at sunset. You might also want to consider Caracol in Belize, but it's a full day and a tour guide is necessary. Good luck!

New York City, New...
reviews: 2
5. Re: Where to go after spending a week in Belize?

Thanks so much for all the info and suggestions!

I visited San Ignacio a year ago and loved it, but this time around I'm focusing on exploring outside Belize a bit too. From Placencia, right now I'm thinking of heading over to Antigua and surrounding, and then from there hopping a plane to Roatan.

Anyone know how difficult/practical it is to get from Placencia to Antigua?

Hollywood, Florida
reviews: 36
6. Re: Where to go after spending a week in Belize?

You can't go from Placencia to Antigua. You would have to go through San Ignacio (driving), or Punta Gorda (boat and drive).

You can take the boat from Placencia to Puerto Cortes though.

From Puerto Cortes, you can check out Copan, the beaches of Tela, Punta Sal and Roatan.

Reply to: Where to go after spending a week in Belize?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted