We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car or rely on plane/transfers

Which Belize hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wi
reviews: 15
Rent a car or rely on plane/transfers

Hello,

Husband and I are making our first journey to belize the week of April 26th. Heading to Placencia for 4 days then to San Ignacio for 3 days. I am having a hard time trying to decide how to get around. We are young and independent and like the idea of being able to get around with a car, but also like the idea of having someone else take us :)

The car rental company I am interested in is Crystal Auto Rental. Prices seem reasonable..but didn't know how much money we would be spending on gas. Starting at BZE, going to Placencia then to San Ignacio and back to BZE. If we drive are there any spots we should stop along the way?

The other option would be to fly from BZE to Placencia, then take transfers or bus from Placencia to San Ignacio and San Ignacio to BZE. I think this would be the easiest and allow for more sightseeing rather than navigating, but we would also have to pay for taxi to get around.

We are staying at Singing Sands in Placencia and Ka'ana in San Ignacio.

Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
Placencia, Belize
reviews: 9
1. Re: Rent a car or rely on plane/transfers

Singing Sands in Aprox. 6 miles from Placencia village. Beautiful little hotel by the beach with great food! Transfer are always fun as you can make multiple stops along the way like:

* Belize Zoo

* Ms. Bertha's tamales (best in Belize) along the Hummingbird Highway

* Inland Blue Hole national park

* Marie Sharp hot sauce factory (A must for hot sauce lovers)

* Bocawina Zipline

No need for taxis in Placencia, you can ride your bike to town or have Maya at Singing Sands get a Golft Cart for the day or by the hour.

http://www.roambelize.com/transfers for transfers at good prices.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
reviews: 4
2. Re: Rent a car or rely on plane/transfers

I would fly down to Placencia and avoid the 3 hr drive after a long flight to Belize from home. Kaana can arrange your road transfer with stops or you can fly from Placencia to Maya Flats (closest to Kaana) or Belmopan. Check rate on Tropic or Maya island

Magog, Canada
reviews: 551
3. Re: Rent a car or rely on plane/transfers

Singing Sands is a nice place but a bit isolated. It is 12km the the southern tip of the island. Around the hotel you have a few restaurants and a supermarket that are walking distance. They have free bikes that you can borrow.

Reply to: Rent a car or rely on plane/transfers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Belize