We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Vacation

Which Belize hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 1
Family Vacation

Hello

My parents are turning 60 next year, so my sister and I are planning on taking them on a family vacation. (Our first one since we were 6??) We asked my parents the top places they would like to visit in the world and on my dads list was "Belize" .. my mom "western Canada" so we have decided to take her out of the box, as she really enjoyed Hawaii.

My sister and I are fairly active and will do anything and look at any sites. My dad is a fisherman and can walk a bit but cant hike, but loves scenery. My mom likes to hike and look at scenery. They both aren't "beach" people.

My sister and I are beach people lol and would love to stay on the beach.

Where in Belize would you suggest we go? / stay? we are looking middle april or middle may. for 7 nights.

Is it easy to get around there to take a look at sites, like renting a car?

Thanks,

1. Re: Family Vacation

Toledo! It is the southern part of Belize. You can divide your time by spending some time on a caye for example Lime Caye or Tom Owen and the rest inland. The fishing is great - so that's a plus with your dad. For more info on the fishing stats contact Dennis at garbuttsmarineandfishinglodge@gmail.com. He heads a small family run business with his brothers and from the "rumours" I've heard they are great fishermen.

Other things you can go while you are on land is try your hand at learning to drum. Punta Gorda boasts of two drumming schools. One is Creole and the other is Garifuna. For more info check out their sites: http://www.warasadrumschool.com/ and http://www.marooncreoledrumschool.com/.

Also do a cultural home visit with the Living Maya Experience - https:/…TheLivingMayaExperience. Or learn to do make chocolate from scratch with Ixcacao - www.ixcacaomayabelizeanchocolate.com

Learn about the traditional Belizean herbal remedies with Dr. Arzu - http://www.arzumountainspirit.com/

Now if adventure is what you and your sister looking for....there is caving, archaeological sites, river tubing, ziplining, hiking and horse back riding. Contact these tour operators for more information: www.tidetours.org and www.bigfallsextremeadventures.com.

If you don't want to stay in town you can stay on the out skirts or out at one of the near by villages. Here are some suggestions:

www.hickatee.com

www.thelodgeatbigfalls.com

www.thefarminnbelize.com

www.tranquility-lodge.com

www.coralhouseinn.net

I am sure your parents and sister will like Toledo. And if you coming ending of May you would be just in time for the Chocolate Festival that is celebrated every year. It is a three day festival. www.chocolatefestivalofbelize.com

Toledo is considered the green district of Belize.

Hopkins
reviews: 3
2. Re: Family Vacation

Hopkins. You and your sister can have your stay on the beach and your dad can fish. If you rent a car for a few days, or the whole week you can drive to Cockscomb and Mayflower parks for hiking. Cockscomb has a nice visitor's center and there is one short self-guided trail that your dad might like. You can drive to Xunantunich and stop at the inland Blue Hole on the way. Your dad may be able to enjoy the main part of the ruin and they have a nice visitor's center too and the scenic drive through the beautiful Humming bird Highway is worth the trip alone.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 148
3. Re: Family Vacation

Both great recommendations. What's your budget per night?

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
reviews: 238
4. Re: Family Vacation

Maybe Placencia too. It's got the best beach in Belize, but it still is rustic. Hopkins is great.

5. Re: Family Vacation

I don't know. My sister and I will be paying for tr whole trip so something within means. Nothing 5 star elite crazy.

Also looking at vacation homes as an option.

Is it fairly expensive to rent a car? That way we can just look at everything?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 148
6. Re: Family Vacation

If snorkeling isn't a priority and you aren't intent on seeing Tikal, maybe a Punta Gorda/Hopkins split? Here are 2 of our favorite stops in Belize:

www.hickatee.com

www.hopkinsinn.com

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
reviews: 4
7. Re: Family Vacation

vrbo.com for house rental options

8. Re: Family Vacation

Oh, my sister and I love snorkeling.

are car rentals expensive there?

9. Re: Family Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 28, 2014