We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico to Belize travel

Which Belize hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kelowna, Canada
reviews: 93
Mexico to Belize travel

What is the best way to travel between Mexico and Belize? I looked at flights and they were ridiculously over priced. I also don't want to travel on a broken down bus. Any suggestions?

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 9
1. Re: Mexico to Belize travel

The buses in Mexico are excellent. Air conditioned, movies. Very comfortable.

What part of Mexico are you traveling from, and where in Belize are you headed?

Once you get across the border and into Corozal, you can fly to Ambergris and then on from there. You can also take a water taxi to Ambergris.

Placencia, Belize
reviews: 13
2. Re: Mexico to Belize travel

ADO run buses direct to Belize City from Cancun and Merida, safe, comfortable and cheap. You can also get water taxi from Chetumal to Ambergris Caye.

Belize
3. Re: Mexico to Belize travel

I don't think there are any flights anymore between Mexico & Belize.

If you're starting in the Yucatan region, the best way would be to arrange a transfer service to pick you up and drive you in a/c comfort. There are several services that can do this, both Mexican & Belizean.

If you're further away (maybe closer to Mexico City), you can fly to Chetumal and use a transfer service from there.

The Mexican ADO express buses are excellent and probably better than any buses in your own country, but the only one that goes into Belize is an overnight bus from Cancun or Merida to Belize City (departs around 10 pm and arrives around 6 am).

If your destination is Ambergris Caye, there is a water taxi from Chetumal to San Pedro -- US$30 and 1.5 hours.

More info about the transfer services, buses & water taxis can be found here...

http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

Davie, Florida
reviews: 2
4. Re: Mexico to Belize travel

dont beleive you would be traveling on a broken down bus as a broken down bus doesnt move does it.

5. Re: Mexico to Belize travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 pm, May 06, 2012
Kelowna, Canada
reviews: 93
6. Re: Mexico to Belize travel

Ha ha funny comment and useless Katzgar. Why you on here?

Thanks everyone! I will be traveling from Tulum. It's good to know about the buses since I have been on buses that were falling apart and very scary to be in.

Not sure about the rest of my travels yet, but been looking at Caye Caulker. Looks great! Also planning on traveling to Honduras, Guatemala and Nicaragua. So if anyone has great suggestions for those areas, would love to read the comments!

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 9
7. Re: Mexico to Belize travel

Because I don't do over night travel well, I'd head to the border and catch a water taxi to Ambergris, and then on to Caye Caulker.

Belize
8. Re: Mexico to Belize travel

From Tulum, I'd get an ADO express bus to Chetumal (3.5 hours). ADO has a website with schedules & fares.

If you don't want to spend a night in Chetumal, get there before 2pm so you have enough time to get to the water taxi pier and get something to eat.

The water taxis depart at 3:00 and 3:30 pm BUT check directly with the water taxi services to find out if the departure times have changed since Mexico switched to DST. Maybe get there by 1 pm just in case.

Both water taxis have same day service to Caye Caulker.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 25
9. Re: Mexico to Belize travel

Hey we are going to do the same trip in January. When do you go.

Merida, Mexico
reviews: 4
10. Re: Mexico to Belize travel

Any insights into driving from Merida to Placencia? thanks...