We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime against tourists??

Which Belize hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san diego
Crime against tourists??

I'm traveling to San Ignacio in December. I have read a few posts about robberies,beatings and even worse rapes by bandits who are holding up tour buses. I'm extremely concerned, as I plan to visit Tikal, Caracol and other tourist sites by bus, but I certainly don't want to be a victim of these crimes.

I'm especially concerned about traveling to Tikal, as we want to do it in one day, and I'm assuming that our bus will probably be returning at night. Should I be concerned about this? And how often do these crimes occur? To be honest, I'm thinking of not traveling to Tikal at all because I don't want to put myself in line to be the next victim.

calif
1. Re: Crime against tourists??

From what i have been reading you are right to be concerned...all the things you have said do happen and happen a lot...from what i have picked up the roads from San Ignacio to Tikal are watched by Bandits(ex freedom fighters left over from the Contra war)looking for touriest to rob,if robberies was all they did that would be bad enought but they seem to like to hurt and beat and rape.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
reviews: 4
2. Re: Crime against tourists??

A few months ago 3 vans were stopped a few miles from Caracol and robbed by Guatemalan bandits. No one was otherwise harmed. The Belize Defense Force have since stepped up patrols on the border and in the jungle reserve. Robberies en route to Tikal in Guatemala decreased dramatically since they completed the paved road years ago. Bad things have happened in Belize to Belizeans and visitors alike, unfortunately so. These have been isolated incidents over the years, few and far between and remind us all, sadly enough, bad things can happen anywhere. I travel all over Belize, often times on my own and in remote areas, and feel a high degree of personal safety most of the time.

Get answers to your questions about Belize