We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you are a Red Cross Blood Donor!

Which Belize hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
reviews: 3
If you are a Red Cross Blood Donor!

Just found out that if you have been anywhere NEAR Belize then you cannot donate blood for an ENTIRE YEAR! Exposure to Malaria! I was kinda shocked! Just to let you know. Not that that would keep you from taking your vacation but, ....

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
reviews: 3
1. Re: If you are a Red Cross Blood Donor!

Thats true for many countries, but does not mean that malaria is a problem, especially in the areas tourists tend to visit.

North Liberty, Iowa
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 9
2. Re: If you are a Red Cross Blood Donor!

It's also true if you visit Mexico and visit the ruins outside of Cancun that you cannot donate blood.

Another thread on another board has a long discussion about this. If you really, really want to donate blood, you can donate it while in Belize.

STC, MO
reviews: 61
3. Re: If you are a Red Cross Blood Donor!

We went on a cruise in December to Caymen and Roatan Island Honduras. Found out we can't give blood for a year because the Island is on the Malaria list. They call me constantly so I told them not to call again till December. Now we've booked a trip to Belize so guess we won't get to give for another 11/2 years.

Los Angeles
reviews: 17
4. Re: If you are a Red Cross Blood Donor!

Same goes for most of Central America and even the Tulum ruins south of Cancun. We went to Costa Rica last year, so no donations. Now we're going to Belize, so I guess it will be another year. I hate it. Considering we are taking anti-malaria pills, you'd think they would let us donate, but I guess they just can't take the risk.