We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

Which Belize hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Where to stay

Hi- im not familiar with belize at all, but am trying to find a nice vacation destination for the beginning of June 08 for my husband and myself (late 20's, early 30's). What is the best part of Belize to stay in - we dont mind doing the touristy things. Looking for nice beach, we'd like to see people - not crazy about being isolated - nice restaurants, shops, some nightlife, good accessibility to attractions, affordable.

Also, should we rent a car? We'd be there a week.

Any vaccinations necessary?

Which airport do we fly into?

Thx! Will probably have more questions along the way.

Denver
reviews: 45
1. Re: Where to stay

I just returned home from 12 days in Belize. I stayed in San Ignacio and Placencia. I prefer to stay away from the touristy places, but here's what I learned while I was there. San Ignacio (stayed at Crsytal Paradise) was fun and in the jungle. We went swimming at Big rock falls and went to some caves. We also zip lined, cave tubed, went to Tikal in Guatemala for a day to see Mayan ruins (they were amazing!). It was truly staying in the jungle. We had no tv, phones etc. It was isolated, but there was lots of tours to go on and beautiful birds and wildlife. Placencia had a beautiful beach, but is not as touristy as Ambergies Caye (spelling?). We snorkled and sea kayaked. The power went out a couple of times. It sounds like San Pedro island is known for it's night life, Ambergies Caye for it's diving and is most popular for tourists. It doesn't really have beaches though. It's known for it's Diving. I've heard to stay out of Belize City it has the most crime so we drove straight to San Ignacio. We spent about $12pp for dinners in Placencia. The food was wondeful everywhere. In San Ignacio our breakfast and dinner was included in our room rate ($85 night). We are late 20's and were trying to stay on somewhat of a budget so we didn't stay at the higher end places. I'm not sure what the weather will be like in June. It was 80-85 everyday and extremly humid (coming from no humidity). Hope that helps a little. Feel free to ask anything else.

Denver
2. Re: Where to stay

The driving is a little different there then here. I didn't rent a car and am glad I didn't, but I met others who did. There are lots of dogs who wander the streets so it's normal for them to be in the road. There's no traffic lights just a lot of speed bumps to slow traffic. Lots of the roads are very washboarded and not paved. There's only a few main highways. The place we stayed (Crystal Paradise) was more then happy to drive us. In Placencia the town is so small we walked everywhere. The actual main road is only a sidewalk.

We took maleria pills (one pill a week), but there are some strains of Maleria that are resistant to the vacinations.

We flew into Belize Int'l and then were picked up and drove to San Ignaicio. We flew in a small plane from Placencia back to Belize City (about 30 min flight)

NY
3. Re: Where to stay

Thx! Sounds like a really fun time. I love the sound of the jungle adventures.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of budget should we be looking at? We're on a tight budget ourselves, but would like to do some fun stuff. The things you mentioned sound good.

Denver
4. Re: Where to stay

I don't think that's peak season for Belize. Their prices all went up on Dec 20th (the day we arrived). Crystal Paradise non thatched cabana was $85 a night and included breakfast and dinner. Most of our trips ran around $100-$150pp and included lunch. That was in San Ignacio. Transfer from Belize city to San Ignacio was $110. Transfer from San Ignacio to Placencia (3hr drive) was $210 on christmas day so i'm not sure if that price would differ any other time. Sea Spray Hotel was $65 a night for the beach Cabana which had a kitchenette in it with coffee maker, microwave, and fridge. Dinners in Placencia ran about $12-20 pp depending on if you got chicken or lobster etc. Burritos which were a common lunch item ran about $4-6 and were wonderful!

We spent a little over $3,000 not including airfair but all our meals and everything else. I think rooms are at least $10 cheaper a night during non peak times. It will probably be pretty hot when you go. We were pretty warm and it was the middle of the winter. Barb's Belize was great when she was booking my trip. I asked her a million questions because I had no idea where to go or what to do. We really did have such an amazing time though so she definetly is a wonderful resource.

5. Re: Where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, September 16, 2009