We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to and what to do, 2 weeks in February, please help

Which Belize hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago IL
reviews: 11
where to and what to do, 2 weeks in February, please help

help.... where should we stay ?

My wife and I will go to Belize for 14-16 days in February.

we love to snorkel and love beaches. we like to explore,

we where going to New Zealand but it is a long flight.

we need to stay in a very high end hotel/resort and would like to stay in 2 different locations. why ? so we can see more of the reef.

where can we swim to the reef and snorkel?

we are not sun people just love good restaurants and a good bar, night life is not inportant.

where do we fly into ?

where and how long to rent a car?

thank you guys

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
reviews: 4
1. Re: where to and what to do, 2 weeks in February, please help

You'll fly into BZE.. The best snorkleing is on the remote outer atolls with one lodge per island dedicated to divers, snorkelers, anglers and kayakers. One lodge per island and they offer 3, 4 and 7 night packages. Best beaches are in Placencia, with good snorkerling 19 miles from the coast. Placencia is laid back, has a few very good restaurants and easy to access mainland day trips to Mayan sites, jungle hiking, waterfalls, caves, etc. Ambergris is our most visited destination with the larger selection of hotels, restaurants, bars and people, but still laiud back by most standards. The reef is less than a mile from shore and they offer lots of local reef and night snorkeling as well as full day dive and snorkel trips to the outer atolls. You can book day trips to the mainland to see Mayan sites, wildlife, river cave tubing and zip line from here. You could rent a vehicle for Placencia, a golf cart on Ambergris. How about some time at a mainland jungle lodge?

Bruceton Mills...
reviews: 3
2. Re: where to and what to do, 2 weeks in February, please help

I'm not sure you'll find what you're looking for. Not sure what you think a very high end resort is.

You might look at Victoria House on Ambergris Caye. High end and not that far from the reef. You'd be renting a golf cart or bicycle.

You might look at Turtle Inn in Placencia. Francis Fort Coppola's place. Expensive and on the water. A long way from the reef.

Probably nothing on Caye Caulker would suit you.

Isla Marasol http://www.islamarisolresort.com/index.php might work. Not my kind of place but you may like it.

Bradenton, Florida
Destination Expert
for Bradenton, Anna Maria Island
reviews: 29
3. Re: where to and what to do, 2 weeks in February, please help

Cayo Espanto, Caye Chapel? Both very high end.

Canada
reviews: 3
4. Re: where to and what to do, 2 weeks in February, please help

Kris48 beat me to it but Cayo Espanto probably even better spot unless the OP are golfers.

Victoria House is always one of my recommendations but then, what does OP mean by "very high end"?

I think this is a job for Katie Valk.

Chicago IL
5. Re: where to and what to do, 2 weeks in February, please help

Thanks guys, great ideas and direction, i wanted some place like Glover's Atoll but the reviews are rough, real rough.

high end ..... it is our 10th anniversary and we would like to go to a nicer resort/hotel for some of our trip so we can relax and kick back, i have seen some hotels that will work, we need to relax and wine and dine and a clean up market location, i know there are no 4 seasons but something special for 3-4 days where we kick back and not leave there for some days.

when we travel we move explore snorkel all day and are not so worried about where we stay otherwise.

all your ideas really help guys

Thanks again

Chicago IL
6. Re: where to and what to do, 2 weeks in February, please help

www.belizefirst.com/AlltheBestinBelize.htm

BEST IN BELIZE

do you guys agree with this site ?

Thanks Andrew

San Pedro, Belize
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 68
7. Re: where to and what to do, 2 weeks in February, please help

I would split your stay like Katie Says somewhere in the Jungle like Chaa Creek to take advantage of the best of the mainland and then a week on Amerbgris at one of the nicer resorts (check out trip advisor) for your snorkeling and dining experiences. You can hire private boats for the day in Ambergris and do whatever you want and really explore. Have a great time and book soon as places are filling up!

Bradenton, Florida
Destination Expert
for Bradenton, Anna Maria Island
reviews: 29
8. Re: where to and what to do, 2 weeks in February, please help

You can not go wrong listening to Lan Sluder. I also agree with Victoria House on Ambergris--very romantic, upscale setting. For the really special dinner check out Rojo lounge on the north side of the island. Even the water taxi ride to get there is special.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
reviews: 4
9. Re: where to and what to do, 2 weeks in February, please help

An atoll lodge more upscale than Glovers Resort? Look at Marisol on the same atoll or at Blacbird on Turneffe atoll. or Blue Marlin Lodge on South Water Caye.

Wisconsin
10. Re: where to and what to do, 2 weeks in February, please help

NoahClark,

I just got back from Isla Marisol. Clean, breezy cabins on the water. (But water was shallow, lots of baby fish and turtle grass so not good for swimming.) Days filled with snorkel trips, meals, and sunsets on the dock as our snorkel guide fished off the dock for tomorrow morning's breakfast. It was not elegant like a Radisson or Marriott, though. If you want that, you might do best going to Ambergris or to one of the luxury StannCreek/Hopkins places (Belizean Dreams, Hamanasi Adventure and Dive Resort). I also stayed on South Water Caye at Pelican's Pouch. There was snorkeling off their south end beach, and a little bit of swimming space. Again, not like a high end hotel, but these choices were much better for me.

Let me know if you want more information.

PS: you might be interested in knowing that the whale sharks come up to Glovers (new Isla Marisol) in about March of each year. I'm sure they get booked up real fast!)