We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Erosion After Debby

Which Anna Maria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
reviews: 1
Beach Erosion After Debby

We last visited Anna Maria back in August and found that Holmes Beach had changed considerably since our previous visits.

We usually stay on the beach, not far from the end of the new Walgreens. The beach here had a big dip in it which filled up at high tide, leaving very little visible beach at times. Also, it was a bit unpleasant with the water being slimy due to the rotting seaweed.

We hope to return twice next year and we are wondering if the beach has recovered and what the current conditions are like.

I would be really grateful for the findings of any recent visitors to this area. Many thanks.

Bloomington, Indiana
reviews: 20
1. Re: Beach Erosion After Debby

We are in Holmes Beach staying right on Manatee Beach right now and the beach seems similar to last year. You can see how high the surf got during the storm where it carved out some of the dunes and sea oats but the beach doesn't seem any smaller. We had dinner at Gulf Drive Cafe in Bradenton Beach and the beach there seemed a little narrower.

Beverly...
reviews: 24
2. Re: Beach Erosion After Debby

We were there right after Debby and then in September. The beaches are now very shelly. Much of the beautiful powdery sand was washed out. I'm hoping it recoveres or the environmentalists allow beach repair. You now need sandal to walk some parts of the beach which I never had to do before.

Up here in MA we just lost another 5 feet of beautiful beach after losing 5 feet two years ago. Crane beach has been devastated.

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
reviews: 42
3. Re: Beach Erosion After Debby

We were on the beach last weekend and it was beautiful, sand was very white with no sea weed at all. I didnt notice that we had lot some of the beach but it was not too drastic. I actually made the comment that the beach looked as beautiful as I had ever seen it, water clarity was amazing and beach was spotless.

Beverly...
reviews: 24
4. Re: Beach Erosion After Debby

I am happy to hear that! We usually go to the area between Bean Point and Mangrove Ave. I hope I don't have to wear sandal when we return in 18 days!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 137
5. Re: Beach Erosion After Debby

We just returned from Holmes Beach over New Years, been going for years, all is well, pretty as ever, back to normal...

uk
reviews: 1
6. Re: Beach Erosion After Debby

That's all good to hear. Looking forward to arriving in March.

7. Re: Beach Erosion After Debby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria