We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer To AMI: Love To Swim-Petrified Of Stingrays!!

Which Anna Maria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cincinnati ohio
reviews: 70
First Timer To AMI: Love To Swim-Petrified Of Stingrays!!

We are planning on a trip to AMI next June. I've been reading about Stingrays, Jellyfish and the "Stingray Shuffle." I am now so scared, I don't want to swim...and this makes me sad, because I love to swim in the ocean(but it has always been in Hawaii with no issues).

Is there a certain month, ex. May or June when the risk of them being in the water is less?

We plan on staying in the northern part of the island, but visiting all areas and beaches. Are some beaches ex. Anna Maria, Holmes or Bradenton more inclined to have them?

Also, once you are in deeper water, at a point where you can swim or tread water-what then? Sorry for all the questions-But I am very nervous. TIA!

Orlando
reviews: 2
1. Re: First Timer To AMI: Love To Swim-Petrified Of Stingrays!!

They are all over the west coast and the east coast for that matter. Rays just don't like to be stepped on. Thus, the shuffle. I have been in the Atlantic with some pretty big ones swimming around me. They don't look to hurt people and are generally harmless unless threatened.

There are many, many sea creatures in Hawaii, and the current is much stronger than on the west coast of Florida.

If you are paranoid about being able to float, wear a life jacket or get a raft. I will say that it is much easier to float in salt water than in fresh water.

cincinnati ohio
2. Re: First Timer To AMI: Love To Swim-Petrified Of Stingrays!!

I can swim and float, but I should have been more clear. I meant once you are in deeper water swimming, what do you do then regarding these stingrays. You aren't able to shuffle-like recommended once you enter the water. Can you relax and just swim without hesitation? And then, are you supposed to shuffle to exit the water when you are ready to get out?I've never seen anyone do the shuffle for Pacific beaches, so this is new to me.

Edited: 8:46 am, September 20, 2012
Tampa, Florida
3. Re: First Timer To AMI: Love To Swim-Petrified Of Stingrays!!

I must be lucky ... in all the years (over 20) that I've been going to Gulf coast beaches (AMI, Lido, Siesta, Sanibel, Ft. Myers) I've never seen any stingrays.

So chances are, neither will you. I've seen dolphins but no stingrays.

cincinnati ohio
4. Re: First Timer To AMI: Love To Swim-Petrified Of Stingrays!!

I hope that will be the case. I would love to see dolphins or manatees up close though.

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
reviews: 42
5. Re: First Timer To AMI: Love To Swim-Petrified Of Stingrays!!

I'm with you AhHah, I grow on the island and been swimming in the gulf there for over 50 years and I have NEVER seen any stingrays, I know they are there and other people see them but I have not! I've actually always wanted to see one. One thing I've noticed though, there use to always be tons of horseshoe crabs on the beach, pretty large ones and now I never see them. They are strange creatures and fun to watch.

To clarify, unless we have some tropical occurance, you can pretty much see what is under the water becasue it is clear, you shouldnt have an issue and will love swimming in the gulf. June is busy though so you should go ahead and book your place, if we can help you with suggestions, let us know what you are looking for.

Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 36
6. Re: First Timer To AMI: Love To Swim-Petrified Of Stingrays!!

We were there in August and my husband had 2 stingrays about 5 feet. wide swim right by him. He was floating around in about 5 ft. of water.

cincinnati ohio
7. Re: First Timer To AMI: Love To Swim-Petrified Of Stingrays!!

Thanks everyone!

Boston...
reviews: 5
8. Re: First Timer To AMI: Love To Swim-Petrified Of Stingrays!!

I have never seen a stingray at any beach and I never want to see one. If I did see one, I don't think I could go back in the water for a while.I usually don't go out that deep..never beyond chest deep. As kids we would swim way out over our heads but as you get older you get more cautious

Orlando
reviews: 2
9. Re: First Timer To AMI: Love To Swim-Petrified Of Stingrays!!

You shuffle to avoid stepping on them. If you can't touch the bottom, there is no need to shuffle,

Clermont, Florida
reviews: 14
10. Re: First Timer To AMI: Love To Swim-Petrified Of Stingrays!!

I think you are worrying yourself more than necessary.

Just remember to glide/shuffle your feet as you are entering the water and you should have no issues. We live in PA and go to the Jersey shore from time to time. I am actually more concerned going in those waters than AMI. More jellyfish there and you can't see once you're past ankle deep.

I hope you get to see dolphins and manatees up close. If you have a car, there is a little "cove" back towards the mainland where manatee gather.

Take Manatee Ave back towards Bradenton, turn right onto Palma Sola Blvd, turn left before you get to the little bridge and park by the tree. Go over to the water and keep an eye out for the manatee!

Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria