We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review of Coquina Beach Club

Which Anna Maria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
reviews: 2
Review of Coquina Beach Club

My wife, my 5 year-old daughter and I spent a week here from June 16-23. We were in unit 101. Overall, on a scale of 1 to 10, I’d give this property a 5.5 or 6. To me, this just means that I’d probably stay here again, but only just barely. We plan on returning to Anna Maria Island, but I’ll be looking hard for a better property next time out.

First, the good part: location. The Coquina Beach Club is not, strangely, anywhere near Coquina Beach. It is north of Bradenton Beach. If you have a good map of AMI, it’s just south of where Gulf Drive takes a sudden swerve north of the public Bradenton Beach. The beach near the Beach Club is great, and the property is directly on the beach.

The Club has a small pool that it is well maintained and clean. During the later parts of the day, it is mostly in the shade, which we enjoyed.

This was our first trip to AMI, so we didn’t realize that most of the beachfront properties in the Bradenton Beach area do not actually have rooms on the ground floor. To maximize use of a the high-priced land, they have parking on the ground floor and then the first floor is where the second floor would normally be. For travelers, this means you’re going to have to carry your luggage and supplies up a flight or two of stairs unless your property has an elevator. The Coquina Beach Club does not have an elevator. While this is not a deal-breaker for me, it is a major inconvenience if (like me) you bring a lot of stuff with you for a week of vacation. It would have been nice if the property information contained the fact that the property was laid out in this fashion.

Our unit was of a reasonable size: two bedrooms, two full bathrooms, a nicely updated kitchen and a living room/dining area. The kitchen was great, but the rest of the unit was full of bad, uncomfortable furniture. The sectional couch was very uncomfortable, and the dining table had chairs that were so uncomfortable that we only used it for its intended purpose once. The kitchen itself was stocked with quite a few cooking implements, but the pans were so bad that I ended up going out and buying a cheap nonstick skillet so I could make pancakes that didn’t look like cinders. There was no place in the master bathroom to hang up towels, let alone the inevitable wet swimsuits. There were TVs in the living room and both bedrooms, but they were small and one of them didn’t work well. The DVD player did not have a working remote.

This is not a bad property, but the unit we stayed in did not show much evidence of care on the part of the owners.

I'll be posting a full trip report in a bit.

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
reviews: 43
1. Re: Review of Coquina Beach Club

Archie, I'm not a condo girl, perfer the "cottage/bungalow" type units which happen to be ground floor, I'm sure you saw some of these, what did you think? Also I cant wait to hear how you liked the rest of the island and if you daughter caught any crabs! If must be positive because you did say you would be back!

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 2
2. Re: Review of Coquina Beach Club

Hey, Rusty. Just posted my ridiculously long report. We didn't catch any crabs, but we did see a few. My daughter was most captivated by the free-roaming peacocks we saw near Moore's Stone Crab.

As for the condo vs. hotel thing, I have to have a real kitchen or I start going through withdrawal. Do the kinds of places you favor have kitchens?

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
reviews: 43
3. Re: Review of Coquina Beach Club

Archie, yes, they definately have kitchens. Last year we rented a house from Mike Norman Realty and it had a fabulous kitchen, we made Thanksgiving dinner in the kitchen with a view of the water, it was awesome. If you go on their website you can see some of the property they have to offer. The only thing that could be a problem with you is not a lot of them have pools. Also, I noticed in your second review you commented on the bayside and that you would consider that, I wouldnt, the bugs are just terrible and I mean terrible on the bay, not a good idea. Also, when you are ready to rent for your next visit, I can recommend a condo that one of our post here on TIA has and I know the location and it is beautiful so lets keep in touch.

atlanta
reviews: 10
4. Re: Review of Coquina Beach Club

So sorry your trip wasn't really great. We stay at Anna Maria Island Club and it sounds like a similar floor plan to what you had. 2 bed, 2 bath, livingroom/dining room, kitchen, laundry and breakfast room. These are all gulf front AND have an elevator. The pool is also huge! But, it is not in the shade in the afternoon, since it is beachside. You may want to check them out for your next trip. We found them on MikeNormanRealty.com. Also most of the newer units on the island will be up with parking underneath. The building code was changed several years back and all new construction has to be, I think, 16feet off the ground. We too bring a lot of stuff because we have a 10 year old. Good luck! Amanateegirl

Ohio
reviews: 12
5. Re: Review of Coquina Beach Club

We stayed there 2 years ago and to us it was just ok also. Good part, it was very close to the water, and we took chairs to waters edge each night. Also, the pool was empty, so we enjoyed the peace and quiet, we could carry on and act crazy without anyone watching. On the negative side, we would not stay there again.

One thing we did do was walk up and down the beach and street and write down the names of places that we thought we would like.

We did stay at Bungalow Beach a few years ago, and had one of our best vacations. Not because it was fancy, but it was right on the water, and at the time there was a wonderful catering service that has since closed across the street and we truly enjoyed a gourmet dinner with wine and candles along with a gorgeous sunset right on the beach from our porch.

Actually, it is right beside Coquina Beach, but with a totally different atmosphere.

6. Re: Review of Coquina Beach Club

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, September 08, 2009