We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary overnight trip from Aspen?

Which Aspen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
washington dc
Anniversary overnight trip from Aspen?

Hello -- My husband and I will be spending a week in Aspen in August. We are traveling with my parents and our two children. During that week, I'd like to take my husband somewhere special for a night away -- just the two of us -- in celebration of our anniversary. Preferably with some (or a lot of) hiking involved. And a nice place to stay. Any ideas? Someone suggested Redstone? Someone else suggested hiking from Aspen to Crested Butte and back but I think that would be a little too much time away from the rest of our family. Any other ideas? Thanks so much for any help!

10 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 238
1. Re: Anniversary overnight trip from Aspen?

Beaver Creek would be a nice getaway. Stay at the Osprey or Park Hyatt. Hike up and around the mountain. It will be quiet and peaceful.

Have fun.

USA
reviews: 6
2. Re: Anniversary overnight trip from Aspen?

Redstone is lovely. I highly recommend it.. I've never been to Beaver Creek, but since Tumbleweed suggested it, I'm sure that is very nice, too.

USA
reviews: 6
3. Re: Anniversary overnight trip from Aspen?

If you go to Redstone, I highly recommend driving a little bit south of Redstone on Hwy 133 to McClure path. It's very beautiful (as is Redstone).

washington dc
4. Re: Anniversary overnight trip from Aspen?

Thanks for this idea. Checking now!

washington dc
5. Re: Anniversary overnight trip from Aspen?

Thanks so much for replying!

Colorado
reviews: 84
6. Re: Anniversary overnight trip from Aspen?

Avalanche Ranch is toward Redstone, has hot pools, and there is a nice hike up Avalanche Ranch trail nearby.

Carbondale is a nice town with some sweet vrbos in town and lots of great restaurants. There are a couple flag hotels there as well, Comfort Suites and Days Inn, Comfort would be my pick of those two but I would pick a vrbo first if overnight was an option.Nearby hikes include Thomas Lakes (on the slope of Mt Sopris) and Mushroom Rock. Carbondale is about 45 min. from Aspen and Redstone about an hour.

Also an hour away is Glenwood, the Hanging Lake trail off of I-70 near Glenwood is popular.

A final idea would be to spend the night at the Ritz at Aspen Highlands and go up to the Maroon Bells for your hike.

Boulder
Destination Expert
for Boulder
reviews: 15
7. Re: Anniversary overnight trip from Aspen?

Beavercreek is a ski village and the hiking out of there is nothing to write home about. I will say that I had a lovely meal at the Golden Eagle restaurant.

I think it would be amazing to do the hike from Aspen to Crested Butte and it looks like there is a shuttle back to Aspen.

Redstone is probably easier, but when you think about it.... Redstone is an hour drive. That is 2 hours of drive time there and back. Crested Butte is three hours back to Aspen. Really only an hour different. So you get up very early and have your parents drop you at the trail head. Hike to Crested Butte. Stay overnight. Shuttle back. If you went to Redstone. You would drive there. Get a hotel, hike and come back the next day anyway.

Colorado
reviews: 84
8. Re: Anniversary overnight trip from Aspen?

Walking to CB is a big hike and one that requires both adequate preparation (emergency gear and backcountry techniques) and physical preparation (high altitude). One must also be prepared to pull the plug due to weather as being exposed during a thunderstorm is no fun. Unless you have the experience, gear, grit, and willingness to cancel due to weather, I would not look to this hike for anniversary trip.

Aspen, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Aspen
9. Re: Anniversary overnight trip from Aspen?

^^The potential for thunder storms is the biggest issue of concern IMO. The eastern maroon trail is longer than the western but a far less rigorous hike. You'll see kids with parents. In fact you'll kids on the western too. Consider going to CB on shuttle and hiking to Aspen. More downhill once you crest on western trail. Another option is to merely hike up to Crater Lake. Good shoes and water essential. And leave the moose alone.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g29141-d2704…

washington dc
10. Re: Anniversary overnight trip from Aspen?

Thanks so much. Will look at Avalanche Ranch. And a night at the Ritz - after a beautiful hike - is very tempting!

Reply to: Anniversary overnight trip from Aspen?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted