We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Aspen or Limelight for one night in August

Which Aspen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newburyport, MA
Hotel Aspen or Limelight for one night in August

Which would you choose? We're a 50+ couple who enjoy comfortable, clean, modern, somewhat upscale, but not pretentious, hotels. We'll just be spending one overnight there, so resort-type amenities are not important to us. I welcome any of your thoughts on this.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 202
1. Re: Hotel Aspen or Limelight for one night in August

Haven't stayed at Hotel Aspen so can't give you first hand. Big fan, though, of the renovated Limelight. Fun, well-appointed modern hotel. Nice open lobby. Very comfortable rooms. Not luxury but very comfortable. Location is better than Hotel Aspen, in my opinion. Very simple so you aren't going to get dinged for big resort expenses.

Have fun.

Aspen, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Aspen
2. Re: Hotel Aspen or Limelight for one night in August

To view options also do a search at

http://www.stayaspensnowmass.com/

Limelight is good. A Thurs night in mid August for standard king (315 sq ft) is $407 --that includes abt $62 in taxes and fees. I love the rooms but find the lobby a bit to minimalistic.

More good info on everything Aspen at

http://www.aspenchamber.org/

Newburyport, MA
3. Re: Hotel Aspen or Limelight for one night in August

Thank you. I've been researching like crazy and started with the Hyatt because we could use points, but they are fully booked. I had narrowed it down to Hotel Aspen and the Limelight when I initially posted here but, at the time, I hadn't realized that most of the Aspen hotels have 2-week+ cancellation policies. (The standard king at the Limelight for our date was coming up at $300 for our night, plus taxes.) We will be on a 4-day/3-night motorcycle trip out of Denver, so if there is rain predicted (beyond the unpredictable brief thunderstorms), we may have to change things around a bit. I'm starting to look at Snowmass now to see whether they have more liberal cancellation policies. The Viceroy looks like a great deal, but I sitll prefer the two in Aspen, especially for the location.

Aspen, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Aspen
4. Re: Hotel Aspen or Limelight for one night in August

You'll find Snowmass to be very quiet compared to the city itself, where most of the action is, unless some event is going on. Check the calendar at the aspenchamber site to see what's happening during your visit.

You could also wing it and try "last minute" reservations thru:

stayaspensnowmass.com/specials/last-minute-l…

For a 1 night bargain hotel place consider the Tyrolean Lodge on Main St. You'll save big.

Colorado
reviews: 72
5. Re: Hotel Aspen or Limelight for one night in August

Viceroy is nice, so is ride up there. As previously noted Aspen has a lot more going on in summer, except Thursday night concerts in SV.

Limelight is great, call them and explain your situation and see what they say

Newburyport, MA
6. Re: Hotel Aspen or Limelight for one night in August

Well, we bit the bullet and went with the Limelight. We called--they were very nice, but their cancelation policy is set in stone, so we'll just have to chance it with the weather. Wish us luck!

Colorado
reviews: 72
7. Re: Hotel Aspen or Limelight for one night in August

If you ride in am you will usually be fine. We enjoy afternoon showers that start rolling in about 1 or 2 pm. All day rains are very uncommon.

I have never been caught on a bike coming over Independence Pass in big rain but it would not seem like fun. There are so many great rides around Aspen and over passes, I am sure you will have a great time.

Newburyport, MA
8. Re: Hotel Aspen or Limelight for one night in August

Thanks--that's what I thought about rain, but wasn't totally sure! We're doing a big 4-day (3-night) loop beginning and ending in Denver. Unfortunately, on some of the days we've mapped out, I think we're still going to be on the road in the early afternoon. I'm trying to end up in some enjoyable places to stay--I'm not one for mom and pop motels in the middle of nowhere-just like a bit of a town after a day of riding--which is making it more difficult. I will check to see where Independence Pass falls on our route and try to make sure we're there early in the day. We're looking into rain gear, but even if I'm dry, I am not at all happy riding in the rain while my husband struggles to see what is ahead of us. Maybe when I was young and felt invincible, but no more!

Aspen, Colorado
9. Re: Hotel Aspen or Limelight for one night in August

Hotel Aspen is great! They completed a total renovation about 2.5 years ago and the rooms are clean, contemporary and comfortable. I really like the pool area. The staff is very friendly. They serve a free, hot breakfast every morning. Parking and airport shuttle are also complimentary. The rates tend to be more reasonable than at the Limelight.

10. Re: Hotel Aspen or Limelight for one night in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 15, 2014