We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should my family ski in/near Aspen?

Which Aspen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Racine, Wisconsin
Where should my family ski in/near Aspen?

We are headed out to Aspen on Friday for our first-ever trip out West. We are intermediate level skiers...my boys like a bit more adventure, my husband and I do not. We are staying in a condo at the base of Aspen Mountain. Any advice on which of the 4 mountains would work best for us?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 53
1. Re: Where should my family ski in/near Aspen?

We've enjoyed skiing at all four mountains. Buttermilk (415 acres) is best for beginngers and intermediates, Ajax (675 acres) & Highlands (720 acres) for intermediates and above. Snowmass (3010 acres) is, by far, the largest, so has something for everyone.

Boulder, Colorado
2. Re: Where should my family ski in/near Aspen?

I'd do Snowmass first day. Ride up Elk Camp gondola, then take Elk Camp Chair to top. Get your pic taken by Sharpshooters. Usually they're right off the lift. If sunny enjoy outstanding views. Ski down Bull Run, an early morning fav of mine to get warmed up. Before lunch go over to Alpine Springs via Adams Ave and do Lodgepole, Naked Lady, CoffeePot. Eat at Alpine Springs restaurant. Great food.

Aspen Mtn will be doable for all especially top half. Lots of nice intermediate runs. Make sure you do Ruthe's Run. Eat at Sundeck for great food and views. If tired, take gondola down at end of day. Spar Gulch is a chore if crowded.

Highlands is far less crowded of 4 mtns. Top and mid mtn nice intermediate runs. But coming to bottom is a bear on Jerome. Icy. An option is to use ThunderBowl lift to the left of Exhibition for a very nice groomed run. Rarely lines at lift. Lots of very challenging runs for boys. If good enough have them climb to top of bowl. Upper part is steep but not as tough as bottom section with bumps.

Get a trail map as soon as you arrive. Enjoy.

Racine, Wisconsin
3. Re: Where should my family ski in/near Aspen?

Thanks so much for the specifics! Exactly what I was looking for. Any other opinions very welcome!

4. Re: Where should my family ski in/near Aspen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:35 am, February 05, 2012