We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?Downtown Aspen or Snowmass?

Which Aspen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
reviews: 3
Where to stay?Downtown Aspen or Snowmass?

I am planning to spend a night in Aspen and I am not sure where to stay. Will it be better to stay in Snowmass or Downtown Aspen. I am not sure how late the stores close in downtown Aspen and wondering which one will be more convenient. And since the hotel prices in downtown is much more expensive, is it really worthed? Your suggestion surely will help. Thanks

Aspen, CO
reviews: 5
1. Re: Where to stay?Downtown Aspen or Snowmass?

You don't mention what season you're coming in...but since you mention shopping and you're only here one night I'd recommend Aspen. Shops close around 8pm but some go later.

Snowmass has some cute shops but if you only have one night go with Aspen since otherwise you'll need to drive or take the shuttle into Aspen (20 minutes).

You don't actually need to stay in a hotel in the true downtown core of Aspen, really anywhere in Aspen will be fine if that helps you save a little money.

Bethesda, Maryland
reviews: 21
2. Re: Where to stay?Downtown Aspen or Snowmass?

Stores close early. Staying in Aspen would be more convenient, but more expensive. Staying in Snowmass would be cheaper, but you prbably would end up driving to Aspen to shop and look around.

Aspen and Snowmass is not far at all, less than 15 minutes by driving.

Newtown, PA
reviews: 265
3. Re: Where to stay?Downtown Aspen or Snowmass?

In my research for our trip next month I ended up going with Snowmass Village for 2 nights. I can handle the 15 minute ride to Aspen. We are staying at the Stonebridge Inn, which I won bidding on Priceline. Place looks very nice and the rate was great. That was a big factor in choosing Snowmass over Aspen for our base.

cookeville, tn
reviews: 4
4. Re: Where to stay?Downtown Aspen or Snowmass?

can you tell us the rate you got and which property?

Newtown, PA
5. Re: Where to stay?Downtown Aspen or Snowmass?

The hotel is the Stonebridge Inn which is ranked #2 for hotels in Snowmass Village by Tripadvisor and is listed as a 2.5* by Priceline.

The room was $90, plus I used bonus cash from the Priceline rewards and they put up the first $10 for each night for a total of $100 per night. The latest rack rate at the Stonebridge is $180 per night. In essence, I only had to put up $90 and the total for both nights was $212. If booking through the Stonebridge Inn web site the total would have been $402 for 2 nights.

Bidding history: I was looking at Aspen and knew that Snowmass would probably take a lower bid. I started bidding at $50 for all 2* and 2.5 * and 3* hotels in Aspen and Snowmass Village (no 3* in Snowmass). Glenwood Springs is a free rebid area for everything but a 2*. I increased bidding $5 at a time before getting the Stonebridge Inn. I also had tried for a Boutique in Aspen, but got rejected all the way up to $140. In the end, the Stonebridge Inn looks very nice for the price and I'm pleased with the outcome.

Just to note, I won this hotel 6 weeks ago. This was not a recent bid.

Ohio
reviews: 3
6. Re: Where to stay?Downtown Aspen or Snowmass?

You got a pretty good deal to stay in Stonebridge Inn for $100. I was going to bid with Priceline but I am afraid that I will get other hotels so I just booked it directly with phone. It was not bad....I got it for $140.

Just another quick question, does anybody knows how big is the shopping area in aspen. I am trying to allocate how much time I can have there.

Newtown, PA
7. Re: Where to stay?Downtown Aspen or Snowmass?

FWIW, here's a list of the Priceline hotels in Snowmass.

travela.priceline.com/hotel/cityPage.do…

Newtown, PA
8. Re: Where to stay?Downtown Aspen or Snowmass?

OK, I see that link has expired and now sends one back to Priceline's main page. Google will give you the link if you type in: priceline "compare hotels in snowmass". It's the only link that comes up. Basically the hotels listed are Stonebridge at 2.5*, Destination Resorts at 2*, Laurelwood Condominiums at 2*, and Top Of The Village at 2*. At the bottom they also give the ratings for the Aspen hotels.

Bethesda, Maryland
reviews: 21
9. Re: Where to stay?Downtown Aspen or Snowmass?

Aspen is a small town. I felt everything was extra expensive there. I would worry more about allocating money than time. :p

10. Re: Where to stay?Downtown Aspen or Snowmass?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, October 01, 2009