We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping at Great Sand Dunes

Which Alamosa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
reviews: 99
Camping at Great Sand Dunes

Anyone have any experience with camping here? I was planning on doing this because it's the same cost as the USFS campgrounds in the area and I think it would be cool to camp by the dunes.

Can you see the dunes from the sites? Do the sites fill up relatively fast (we'll be there on a Sunday night of a regular weekend in a couple of weeks)? Will it be hot?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Steamboat Springs...
reviews: 19
1. Re: Camping at Great Sand Dunes

There are definitely some sweet sites with the dunes right in your face. I don,t know the numbers however. There might be a map on the dunes website so you get an idea. I should think you will have lots of choices but I've only camped there in the fall.

I'd expect the days to go 80+ and the nights to go down in the 40s. But.. as unsettled as the weather has been all spring there's no telling what temps you'll get. No matter what you get you'll be at a very cool place , you may even see skiers and boarders. Have fun!!

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
reviews: 7
2. Re: Camping at Great Sand Dunes

If you're arriving on a Sunday, you shouldn't have trouble finding a choice of sites.

Here's a map of the campground:

nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/upload/grsa-campg…

Although Loop 1 is closer to the Dunes, I actually prefer the views from the end of Loop 2 -- e.g. campsites 64 through 74. Even the sites that don't "face" the dunes can be quite nice, since they often have more trees for shade.

Here's another site you may not have found already that has some good information on Great Sand Dunes:

http://www.GreatSandDunes.info

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
reviews: 99
3. Re: Camping at Great Sand Dunes

Just an FYI to any travelers who read this post:

- The campground was full by 4:30. I'm glad that we arrived early and got a decent spot.

- There's no firewood gathering allowed, so you should purchase it before you come in (there's a little shop, but it's very expensive)

- All sites are a fairly tough (it's sandy) 3/4 mile walk to the main dunes.

4. Re: Camping at Great Sand Dunes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 27, 2009