We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a day trip to Avalon from Long Beach via Express

Which Avalon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ballwin, Missouri
reviews: 16
Planning a day trip to Avalon from Long Beach via Express

Husband, 12 YO daughter, and I are planning a trip on a Sunday in mid March, 2014 for what looks to be a fabulous visit to Avalon. We want to take the Catalina Express from Long Beach but are requesting suggestions re; timing. Earliest shuttle to arrive early moring? If so...what options for attractions should we hit that early? Tide pools? Golf cart rental? Shopping and other ticket counters (for attractions) probably won't open that early... We love a good beach (but I'm sure morning temps will limit that activity). Not so much into hiking but love to stroll. Our return time is open also. Thanks for the advice!

4 replies to this topic
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
reviews: 44
1. Re: Planning a day trip to Avalon from Long Beach via Express

Are you staying in Long Beach or someplace else? We usually like to take the earliest ferry over to get more out of the day (though lately, we've made it a long weekend). Do you have a car or are you relying on some other form of transportation? Renting a golf cart for an hour is a lot of fun and is an easy way to see the town. You might want to check a few websites for other ideas. No tides pools that I'm aware of but you might check out the glass bottom boat tour. My kids also enjoy the cute little mini-golf course in town.

visitcatalinaisland.com/activities-adventures

http://catalina.com/

Ballwin, Missouri
2. Re: Planning a day trip to Avalon from Long Beach via Express

Thanks! Staying in Redondo Beach for this part of our SoCal trip. Renting car that we can leave at the terminal. Is there a seasonal difference for island activities ie closed or off hours? We will definately check your linked websites.

Catalina Island...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Planning a day trip to Avalon from Long Beach via Express

Hi Morrell Family!

Firstly, I recommend checking out this website: www.catalinachamber.com. As the official website for the Catalina Island Visitors Bureau, it will provide you with the most comprehensive listing of activities.

I also recommend checking this particular page just before your departure: www.catalinachamber.com/island/thisweek. This will show you any special events going on during your visit, as well as any pertinent closings. During March, however, you shouldn't encounter any seasonal closings, and all activities should be operating on a normal schedule, as this falls during the Spring Break period.

The Visitors Center on the Green Pleasure Pier opens at 8am, and the ticket sales counters soon after. You will find MORE than enough to do to fill a full day on the Island, and by arriving early, will be able to purchase tickets for your first-choice tour times. Golf cart rentals are $40 an hour (cash only, so be sure to have some on hand), and are a very popular activity. You can also Zip Line, rent kayaks, go on a glass bottom boat or semi-submersible tour, take any number of land based tours on the Island, play mini golf...the options are endless! Have a great trip!

Ballwin, Missouri
4. Re: Planning a day trip to Avalon from Long Beach via Express

Thank you, so much, actgurlinva. We are really looking forward to seeing this truly unique spot.

Reply to: Planning a day trip to Avalon from Long Beach via Express
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted