We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Catalina Sept 6-9

Which Avalon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
First visit to Catalina Sept 6-9

Hi all,

My husband and I are visiting for the first time next week. A last minute decision and little time to read up extensively on options. So many reviews are contradictory, especially on the budget offerings . We are fine with modest accoms, but must be clean, have a view, and be close to beach, shops etc. Any recommendations from experts ?

Many thanks !

Berkeley, Ca.
reviews: 72
1. Re: First visit to Catalina Sept 6-9

As long as you don't stay in a place at the top of the hill--the Mount Ida, Zane Grey, Catalina Country Club--everything will be close to the water, shops etc. The visitors area of Avalon is very small. Almost all of it is within about 15 minutes' walk from the ferry dock (remember that private cars are limited on Catalina).

I'd look at the Tripadvisor reviews and look for the central tendency. Do most people love or hate the hotel? The best hotel will always have a few detractors, they can be ignored. Is what people like about the hotel stuff you like or things you don't care about? Simialrly for the things they dislike.

Toronto, Canada
2. Re: First visit to Catalina Sept 6-9

Thanks for your suggestions.

Yes I love and use Tripadvisor extensively. Just don't have as long to read up on the many options as I'd like given Monday departure ! Thought someone might have a hidden gem to recommend to shorten the search time...

Thanks again !

Edited: 5:04 pm, September 02, 2010
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
3. Re: First visit to Catalina Sept 6-9

We stay at the Pavilion Lodge Hotel, because we like being next to the beach and have a grass patio courtyard to have our breakfast and visit with friends in the evening. But it is not budget.

visitcatalinaisland.com/avalon/hote_pavilion…

Years ago we stayed at Hotel Mac Rae, and it has good internet rates, and has ocean view rooms.

http://www.hotelmacrae.com/index.html

Good luck. You'll enjoy your visit Avalon and being by the water.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
reviews: 46
4. Re: First visit to Catalina Sept 6-9

The Pavilion Lodge Hotel and teh ziplining tour were just featured on The Bachelor Pad (ABC). The hotel was just refurbished and the rooms look great! They are also inexpensive and right on the main drag (Crescent Ave.) which runs along the beach. You can also look into a 1 bedroom condo at Hamilton Cove. It's out of town but you get a golf cart to get to/from town and they have great views and a nice beach.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
reviews: 46
5. Re: First visit to Catalina Sept 6-9

Sorry about that. It looks like the Pavilon Lodge has raised their rates. They used to be a lot less expensive!

6. Re: First visit to Catalina Sept 6-9

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:11 am, March 02, 2011