We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soapstone HELP

Which Angels Camp hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brentwood...
Soapstone HELP

Looking for soapstone to use for carving hobby.... i keep getting the run around everywhere i look on the net. Can anybody direct me to a "Quarry , Harvester"? ...... when i was a kid my Grandfather would go somewhere in the Angels Camp area and he would purchase from a guy who had large piles of stone on his property....any idea? thank you for your help!

4 replies to this topic
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 871
1. Re: Soapstone HELP

Hi and welcome to TripAdvisor. Interesting question!

I looked around and found Sierra Hills Stone, but their website is down or caput or something. I did have a thought that you could contact the Chamber of Commerce there and ask.

You might also Google feed stores in the area and call some. I know, I know, feed stores aren't what you're looking for, but in rural areas the folks who work there seem to know a lot about stuff in the area. A soapstone quarry isn't that far removed from feed-n-seed.

You may or may not find anything like you're remembering - the times they have changed, you know ;-)

California
2. Re: Soapstone HELP

My favorite local feed-n-seed store around here (the Sierra foothills) is Hurst Ranch in Jamestown, CA. If they don't carry it, they usually know who does. If I were you, I'd give them a call.

I also found this place on the web, www.sierrahillsstone.com in Angels Camp. Their web site says they have soapstone. Have you called them?

736-4497 Area code 209.

Edited: 11:53 pm, January 08, 2013
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 871
3. Re: Soapstone HELP

That's the website that won't come in for me for some reason!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
4. Re: Soapstone HELP

Try this website

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lynnabs

Reply to: Soapstone HELP
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Angels Camp