We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anaheim v Los Angeles

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Darlington, United...
reviews: 6
Anaheim v Los Angeles

Wanting to visit Los Angeles/Anaheim area with our 16 year old daughter as a post exam treat. Hotels in Anaheim seem much cheaper than Los Angeles, wondering whether we could stay in Anaheim do a bit of the Disney thing, then go to Los Angeles as and when we fancy, just for the odd day perhaps and do the sights and Hollywood. Does anyone know if this is this possible by bus or train and do they run regularly into the evening.?? and is it worth while doing this way or would we be better off paying more, staying in Los Angeles and going to Anaheim once or twice and just taking the hit on the cost. Travelling from UK as a family..

Thank you

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 131
1. Re: Anaheim v Los Angeles

humm. Most people imho stay in Anaheim to do the Theme parks or pretend to attend a convention in the largest convention center ... blah blah. . and spend time in the theme parks And for that Anaheim is really really convenient -- walking to the park is the best way to get the biggest bang for your expensive disney buck

Now if it is a matter of doing one day to see one small part of La which is the second largest city in the US, sure you can do a tour or go by bus. But if the idea is to spend 2-3 days in LA and say 2 in Anaheim, my humble advise as a visitor would be to divide your stay between the two cities

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
2. Re: Anaheim v Los Angeles

Hi,

I suppose a comparison might be staying in Oxford to visit London?

Would you do that even though there might be trains back and forth between the 2 cities?

You might do it if you were going to stay a few days in Oxford and then go up to London for a one day visit but you wouldn't do it every day and commute back and forth several times.

I'd take a look at both places and list the things you'd like to see and do in each to see how much time you really need. Then I'd use that information to decide if I'd stay in one city or spend a few days in each.

Darlington, United...
reviews: 6
3. Re: Anaheim v Los Angeles

Thank you very much for your response, I havent been able to find this option as a twin centre holiday, but someone must be able to offer it, seems like a good idea so will investigate further.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 131
4. Re: Anaheim v Los Angeles

Oxford is much more interesting and has an amazing campus. IMHO Riff M :-)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 350
5. Re: Anaheim v Los Angeles

How many total nights do you have? If you have 7 total nights, my inclination would be to split 3 nights in Anaheim and 4 nights Los Angeles.

Where you stay depends on what your budget is per night in U.S. dollars and what you want to see. If you can give that bit of information people can offer better, more specific advice. LA has nice hotels in all price ranges.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
6. Re: Anaheim v Los Angeles

@belomiser, I was just using Oxford as an example since it is about 1 hr. from London.

@holidaymadness, What do you mean that "it is not offered as a 2 center holiday"??

You can book whatever hotel you like in whatever place you like!

It sounds like you are working with a travel agent.

Please be aware that we have found that UK travel agents do not know California well at all and suggest all sorts of things that do not work well for tourists!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 87
7. Re: Anaheim v Los Angeles

The better option if you decide you must pick between staying at one or the other area is likely to stay in Anaheim and either take the Train into the LA area or one of the Tours that go from Anaheim to the LA area such as Grayline Tours or Starline Tours. Things you may be doing in the LA area will require much less stamina than Disneyland will likely.

Especially if you are planning mutiple days at Disneyland, and perhaps it sounds just a daytrip to the LA area.

Reasons for this are that you are walking all day around Disneyland, and its alot of walking, and a pain after you are tired after doing all that to then have to try to get transport back to the LA area each time especially for multiple days at Disneyland.

Tours from the LA area to Anaheim are also going to leave quite early and not allow you that much time at the Park or allow you to stay late enough for the nightime entertainment. The Train also does not run late, so hours may be longer at Disneyland than what the train will accomodate.

Its helpful though as said to know how many days you are planning for each area for sure.

And when you are ready to decide where to stay, we can help you find something in your price range if you give us a budget per night and when you will be visiting as prices vary quite widely with the different times of year.

You may also want to consider planning your own accomodations as alot of Travel Agencies tend not to want to put you in the best places to stay from what I have seen.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 51
8. Re: Anaheim v Los Angeles

It really depends on how many days you plan to visit the theme parks versus how many days you're looking to explore Los Angeles (the second-largest city in the U.S,) along with adjacent neighborhoods to the city of L.A., e.g Beverly HIlls, the beach cities (Santa Monica, Malibu, Venice), Burbank (for a movie studio tour), etc, etc.

I'm guessing that you're looking at some sort of 'travel package' that includes air and hotel together. That must be why you're having trouble locating a plan where you can stay at two cities whilst on holiday here. Forget about travel packages. Just book your air (Virgin Atlantic tends to be the least expensive) and then use Trip Advisor to book your hotels. (Do you know how to look up hotels on Trip Advisor?).

You haven't specified your travel dates but I'm guessing sometime this summer as it will be post exams. I'm not sure what you mean by hotels in Anaheim being much cheaper. For a stay from, say 20 Jun to 26 Jun, here are some sample 'room rates' from top-rated 2-star and 3-star hotels in Anaheim and in Hollywood. These rates are WITHOUT TAX which is approximately 15% on top of the 'room rate':

In Hollywood, top-rated 2-star hotels:

Hollywood Orchid Suites is available for $176 per night

Hollywood Celebrity Hotel: $159 per night

Coral Sands Motel (eastern part of Hollywood -- 6 minutes away from central Hollywood): $91/night

Days Inn Hollywood/Universal Studios -- $122/night

Travelodge Hollywood-Vermont/Sunset: (eastern part of Hollywood) -- $74 per night.

In Hollywood, top-rated 3-star hotels:

"The Hollywood Hotel" (on Vermont Av in the eastern part of central Hollywood): $151/night

Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles/Hollywood -- $250/night

Best Western Plus Hollywood Hills -- $158/nigh

In Anaheim, top-rated 2-stars:

Howard Johnson (2-1/2 stars) -- $176/night

Comfort Inn -- $87/night

Best Western Park Place -- $149/night

Islander Inn -- $111/night

In Anaheim, top-rated 3-stars:

The Hotel Indigo -- $145/night

Desert Palms -- $149/night

Fairfield Inn -- $163/night

Let's recap: Average price of 3-stars in the two areas:

In Hollywood: $186/night

In Anaheim: $152/night

Average price of 2-stars in the two areas:

In Hollywood: $124/night

In Anaheim: $130/night

So, the 2-stars are priced virtually identical in the two neighborhoods and the Hollywood 3-stars are only $34/night higher. Three nights at that higher price amounts to around $100 more -- a small price to pay compared to the cost of the holiday overall and that higher price is driven by the Hilton which is $100 more per night than the other Hollywood 3-stars. If you remove the HIlton, the Hollywood 3-stars average out at $155 -- virtually identical to the Anaheim 3-stars.

Also, if you stay in one area to save money on hotels, keep in mind that you'll have to pay for return transfers between the hotel and the 'other city' and that can wipe away any savings you were planning. Let alone the fact that the daily return transfers will waste about 3 hours of your time -- time when you could be touring.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 350
9. Re: Anaheim v Los Angeles

My fear for holidaymadness2013 is that they are booking this trip with a UK travel agent who will try and put them in all the truly awful places we see UK travel agents put people.

holidaymadness2013, do NOT let a UK travel agent book hotels of THEIR choosing for you. Get the flights from them, but you can do so much better in getting the exact right hotel for you using TripAdvisor than you can from a travel agent.

These forums are littered with comments from unhappy Brits who've been placed in bad areas for what they want to see and do.

Edited: 1:56 pm, February 03, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
reviews: 12
10. Re: Anaheim v Los Angeles

I always split my stay when visiting LA/Anaheim. I stay in a hotel across the road from Disneyland for the days I will be visiting the parks. I then rent a car & relocate up to Santa Monica for sightseeing around the greater LA area. I choose Santa Monica as I really like being near the beach, but another area may suit you better, depending on what you want to do & see. I usually spend 4 days at both.

I also agree that you should book your hotels yourself. I usually book directly on the hotel websites as I prefer to not deal with a third party.