We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accomodations for next July near Disneyland

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
accomodations for next July near Disneyland

I am specifically wondering about the Ayres hotel that is ranked #1 currently on TA for Anaheim. Looking for family friendly and would rather stay outside the park, since we may venture to do the beach or something else in the area on our last day. Me and hubby are not crazy theme park fanatics, but are excited to bring our kids to DL for first time. Just would rather something away from the hustle and bustle, but not too far away. Opinions? Any other hotel suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We have 3 kids (ages 14,10 and 4)

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
11. Re: accomodations for next July near Disneyland

Because you have a four year old, I'm going to make a few recommendations:

On both of our trips to Disneyland (1st time kids were 4 and 6.5, 2nd time they were 10 & 12) we stayed at hotels on Harbour Blvd and I would continue to do that on future trips. The first time we stayed at the Tropicana (serviceable and cheap), 2nd time at the Fairfield.

Personally, with a 4.y.o. I would go for something as close to the gates as possible. You are just SO tired when you come out and you have walked so much, that the prospect of walking a long way to the hotel or waiting for a shuttle is just too much. Even though the Tropicana wasn't much of a place, I loved the location because you had such a short walk from the gates at the end of the day. I much preferred the Fairfield as a hotel, but on that first trip, I wouldn't have wanted to walk even that far.

If you look at that map that Happy posted in #4, it can be difficult to figure out what is close to the gates, but the iHOP is right on that corner and the closest point, so if you work out from there, you can figure out how far you are from the gates.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
12. Re: accomodations for next July near Disneyland

We stayed at the Paradise Pier for a few days about 3 years ago when my wife had a conference there. We could see the California Adventure Park from our room. Access to Disneyland was nearby, from the Monoral station in Downtown Disney (needed to have bought a ticket in advance). One did pay for the convenience in high fares for the quality of room (IMHO). Elevators were very crowded, especially in late afternoon and evening, with families returning from the park.

A number of hotels near the park have free shuttles. Convenient especially if you're not going back and forth throughout the day. Check hotel reviews on TA.

Edited: 5:16 pm, August 21, 2013
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
13. Re: accomodations for next July near Disneyland

VERY few Hotels offer free shuttles.

For example, the Disney owned ones do not offer any, even for a fee. They want you to walk through the Downtown Disney Shoppertainment Mall.

In the Anaheim Resort area, only two are allowed to run their own, the Candy Cane Inn and the Sheraton Anaheim on Ball Road.

Some Hotels in other areas, such as Garden Grove, Orange and Buena Park do offer them.

But most are either forced to become part of the ART System, or opt in. The Anaheim Resort Transit is a quasi government agency that is designed to reduce air pollution and traffic. They do charge about $5 per day.

www.rideart.org

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 341
14. Re: accomodations for next July near Disneyland

It sounds like you are confusing Disneyland with Walt Disney World. Understand that the ENTIRE Disneyland Resort (Downtown Disney, Disneyland Park and Disney's California Adventure) would have fit inside the original Magic Kingdom Parking Lot.

The Ayres, which is a great hotel, does not get you out of the "hustle & bustle" since it is still close to Disneyland, and also in between the Honda Center (Home of the Anaheim Ducks and many events) and Angel Stadium.

I'd rather be at a place like the Residence Inn by Marriott or even Hojo's where you can walk to the park. The pluses of the RI are the included breakfast, more room and a full kitchen. HoJos has a nice water play area that the younger kids would like.

But I'd also consider all the walkable places like the Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn, Best Western Plus Park Place Inn & Suites and the Paradise Pier Hotel (the older kids would like the pool/slide there).

SoCal
reviews: 7
15. Re: accomodations for next July near Disneyland

It is a total misconception that staying at the DGC or the DLH will put you in the hustle and bustle. I felt no hustle and bustle in the height of tourist season at DGC and not at the DLH in the past (I have not stayed at PP). DGC and DLH are resort style with nice grounds and pools so you feel you have definitely left the theme parks. I think they are more relaxing than the other places in the area due to the size and grounds. The three DL hotels are not "in" the theme parks, they are outside of the 2 parks. It is not hard to get out of the DGC or DLH, quick access to surface streets and the freeway. The self parking lot couldn't have been more than a 5 minute walk. The biggest downfall is the price, they are very expensive so it may not be what the OP wants.

Please note that TA uses a RANKING system, it is not a rating system. It is not necessarily representative of the best or nicest hotel in a city. The Ayres may be the #1 ranked but that does not mean it is the best hotel. A look at the Anaheim rankings puts DLH and DGC at 7 and 8. They are both far superior hotels in terms of appearance, grounds, amenities, etc. than those ranked higher. TA has a system to rank but it is not a rating system. Ranking is not the same as rating.

Just be aware that both Ayres are in the general hustle and bustle of a busy city, just as most places are. The Ayres Anaheim is located next to a freeway off ramp, across the street from a major entertainment venue (ice hockey, concerts) and just down a short road from a baseball stadium. The Orange Ayres is also next to a freeway off ramp, at a busy intersection, close to a hospital and office buildings and down the street from the same baseball stadium. If you plan to take a rest back at the hotel during the day, neither Ayres is conveniently located. I would stay in walking distance if you want a mid day break. Ayres may be fine for your visit, just be realistic about location.

Houston, Texas
16. Re: accomodations for next July near Disneyland

Thanks for all of the recommendations! Currently am leaning toward Candy Cane Inn (since they have their own private shuttle and gets good reviews on here) or the Ayres, if we decide to stay a bit farther out. Definitely prefer a breakfast included option and do what to stay under $200/night if possible since we may end up getting 2 rooms if my mother-in-law decides to come with us. Also, do not foresee spending much time in the room. I looked into Residence Inn Maingate since they have larger suite type rooms, but the recent negative reviews on here has me concerned, anyone have any personal experience on this one? Also, looks like if we want to do a non-stop flight we would need to fly into LAX...is LAX that crazy to avoid over having a non-stop flight?

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
17. Re: accomodations for next July near Disneyland

I see that United flies to John Wayne Airport (aka Orange County/Santa Ana/SNA) from the George Bush Airport in Houston non-stop.

A few comments about the Candy Cane Inn (CCI) and either Ayres Hotel (Orange or Anaheim). While you pay a few dollars for the ART system, both shuttles run every 30 minutes and only take a few minutes to get to your Hotel. The CCI is an old two story Motel with Small rooms and no elevators, the Ayres are multi story Hotels with interior hallways, elevators and large rooms. The CCI breakfast is very basic and the eating area is small and usually packed. The Ayres cooks to order their breakfast most days, and is much better, and has a much better dining area.

I like the Ayres Orange location a bit better, since it is within walking distance to the large Outlets at Orange Shoppertainment Mall.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 83
18. Re: accomodations for next July near Disneyland

Residence Inn Maingate is a well rated Hotel, I would not be too concerned by an negative reviews, there are going to be some for all Hotels. Its suggested often, and lots of people have reported having a good stay there. Its about a 15 min walk and offers Art Shuttle service, free full breakfast and some weeknight light meals. Its also next door to the Anaheim Gardenwalk which has lots of restaurants.

Las Vegas
reviews: 67
19. Re: accomodations for next July near Disneyland

Since you have 3 kids, if you like Best Western types, I would recommend Best Western Meridian Orange, because they have a 2 queen 2 room suite that works real well for about $95. It's only good if you are going to park or shuttle, because it's at the far south end of Harbor Blvd. Read my reviews for other ideas. I've stayed in 10 Anaheim hotels in the last 10 months.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 15
20. Re: accomodations for next July near Disneyland

We stayed at the Residence Inn in March for the second time and loved it again. We really love the kitchen option as we were staying longer and both times we have been we had the penthouse suite option that is 2 bed 2 bath. 1 king and 2 queens. We have been with grandparents both times and it gave us all enough space. The breakfast was great and I love the greenery of the grounds. I too have seen the negative reviews...but i figure that some people can't be pleased with anything. The ART shuttle picks up/drops off in the parking lot and you can get tickets at the front desk...some days we walked there but rarely walked back. (When the kids were smaller we walked it with a stroller) It is still close enough that it is reasonable to go back for nap or swim in the afternoon and then head back to the parks at night.