We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland on a budget - cheap places to eat and shop

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tauranga, New...
Disneyland on a budget - cheap places to eat and shop

Hi there. I'm heading to Disneyland with my seven year old daughter in September. Our park tickets and accommodation are all sorted (we're staying just around from the park). Can anyone advise of any reasonably priced places to eat (we're not particular with what we eat) or if there are any supermarkets or grocery stores where we can stock up on drinks, fruit and snacks. We won't have a car but will use the ART system. Thanks so much! Marie :-)

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
11. Re: Disneyland on a budget - cheap places to eat and shop

Near the corner of Harbor and Orangethorpe is a Sprouts Farmers Market, which is a healthy grocery store. And since it is a Super Walmart that is a couple of walking blocks from the corner, all the traditional stuff, like Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Kraft Mac and Cheese, etc. can be found there, along with produce, a bakery, etc.

As for the light rail planning, the city and Disneyland wanted the station as close as possible to the park's entrance. The plan is to bring the tracks from near the freeway to the east to bypass going on Harbor Blvd and to try and have the least impact on traffic in the area.

So the Hotel and restaurants would be removed to have two sets of tracks (maybe 3), a loading platform and an waiting area for those waiting to catch the next train. Also the possibility of a Pedestrian bridge being built over Harbor Blvd to help move traffic in the area.

Shame they have to tear the Motel down, but it really does make the best sense for the location of the new station.

Here is a link to the OC Register, which is a pay site for the first 7 days of an article, so you could pay, or just wait until next week to read it.

ocregister.com/articles/streetcar-516117-ana…

Edited: 4:19 pm, July 11, 2013
United States
reviews: 129
12. Re: Disneyland on a budget - cheap places to eat and shop

Definitely needs a pedestrian overpass. It would be a benefit to vehicles & pedestrians. I too will really miss BWPPI. Why can't a horrible motel be in the way? ;)

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
13. Re: Disneyland on a budget - cheap places to eat and shop

Well, at least a horrible restaurant (Captain Kidd's) will be gone :D

Tauranga, New...
14. Re: Disneyland on a budget - cheap places to eat and shop

Thanks heaps for the comments, much appreciated! We're staying at the Desert Palms, and yes, breakfast is included :-) We'll pop down to the Target - I've found it on Mapquest, and it's not too far away. It's good to have some options other than McDonalds - thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Um, what is Ihop exactly? I'm imagining it to be an American diner type place?

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
15. Re: Disneyland on a budget - cheap places to eat and shop

IHOP used to be called the International House of Pancakes, and started off as a breakfast place. Then expanded to Lunch and dinner, and is basically a typical Coffee Shop/Diner type of place.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
16. Re: Disneyland on a budget - cheap places to eat and shop

Here are my choices for Coffeee Shops in the area, beast at the top.

Mimi's Café

Coco's

Millie's

IHOP

Denny's

Tauranga, New...
17. Re: Disneyland on a budget - cheap places to eat and shop

Thanks for that :-)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 85
18. Re: Disneyland on a budget - cheap places to eat and shop

The Desert Palms is ok to stay at, and is a standard Hotel about a 13 min walk up Harbor Blvd, through the Disneyland Main Entrance and to the Turnstiles that go into either Park. They also offer Art Shuttle service for a small fee per person if you dont want to walk.

If you look at the Map I posted in my previous post, the Desert Palms is basically in close walking distance of about 8 min or so to the Anaheim Gardenwalk Mall which has alot of restaurants, but those would not be what I would consider budget dining.

http://binged.it/1339QTU

http://www.anaheimgardenwalk.com/dining/

You are also in close to the McDonalds, Pizza Press, MImis Cafe, I-hop, and Dennys just up Harbor Blvd so about an 8 min walk or so. which are not expensive places to eat.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
19. Re: Disneyland on a budget - cheap places to eat and shop

I forgot one Coffee shop in the area, and I would but it at the bottom of my list, Tiffy's Café at Katella and West Street. (The Coco's is right across the street and is much better, IMHO).

20. Re: Disneyland on a budget - cheap places to eat and shop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 13, 2014