We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May or June 2014

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
reviews: 20
May or June 2014

Thinking about a possible California trip next year, specifically with at least three days at Disney (we've been before in September time). Any ideas about times to avoid etc I'm terms of holidays, school breaks etc that would mean large visitor numbers?

Thanks in advance!

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
1. Re: May or June 2014

May is better than June, as most kids are still in class in May. Schools start to go on summer break at the end of May to mid-June. (there is no set school schedule in the area, each district is allowed to make their own schedule).

There is the Labor Day Weekend to avoid the last weekend of May, but other than that May is the best, followed by early June. By the end of June, the park is in full summer mode.

Edited: 3:06 pm, July 05, 2013
Manchester, United...
2. Re: May or June 2014

That is just the info I was looking for, thank you! Last time didn't check anything and was there the start of September, is it memorial day or something?! Crowds weren't too bad compared to what I'd anticipated but would rather avoid too busy times. Is the temperatures about the same?

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
3. Re: May or June 2014

Yes, basically in America, our summer season starts with Memorial Day (last weekend in May), and ends with Labor Day weekend (first weekend in September). (And I noticed I made a mistake in my first post, and got the two confused, it Is Memorial Day in MAY, not Labor Day,

But due to school scheduling, seems like many schools start to go into session in August currently, a few early in the month, and more at the mid to end of the month. A few don't start until after Labor Day.

May on average has the lower temps than September. You can get some very hot days in September due to Santa Ana winds, while May you have a good chance for overcast mornings.

Manchester, United...
4. Re: May or June 2014

Really appreciate your help. It wasn't too hot when we visited in September, certainly in comparison to Vegas or Orlando in May, lol!

Absolutely LOVED California, can't wait til daughter is a little older (she'll be three next) so can really explore it. For now Disneyland and a national park will suffice!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 74
5. Re: May or June 2014

We had a lovely trip with extended family in early May last year. Things to consider for selecting *your* ideal time for Disneyland:

Extended hours ~ fireworks just on weekends, may close at 8 pm on weekdays

Grad Night ~ lots of extra visitors for a day

Daylight hours ~ longer in June than May, but this may not impact you in this destination (do you want it darker earlier to see the parks lit up?)

Ride closures ~ it's probably too early to know what might be closed next spring, but it looks like you're a big fan of Disneyland Parks in general (tons of posts on the Disneyland Paris forum) so if there are any rides or areas that are really really important to you, ask now. Darkbeer gets early notification of some refurbishments and might be able to help you with this topic.

-----------------------

Of course I'll "vote" that you select Yosemite NP for your >>a national park will suffice!<< choice, but there are also great areas with natural beauty that appeal to families with preschoolers that aren't necessarily National Parks. As you weigh your options, check out the Top Questions on the right side of each destination forum page. Folks who love that destination have come up with topics that they think are most useful to visitors.

Manchester, United...
6. Re: May or June 2014

OH NO, I've been sussed!! Yep, I'm a Disney fan, lol!! And a huge fan if anything America! So far we have limited our trip to nearer home as daughter a little young for long flight but feel next year, which is a small but significant wedding anniversary may be ideal time to spread our wings a little further.

As for closures wouldnt be devastated if one particular thing closed, its all about the parades, atmosphere etc for us with them the secondary concern.

We only dipped our toes into Yosemite on last visit, in all honesty think that will be a future two week stand alone trip as we fell in love with the place. Want to do the full on camping, hiking etc when she's a bit older.

Edited: 4:30 pm, July 05, 2013
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
7. Re: May or June 2014

There are some nice National Parks/Forest in the Southern California area, such as Joshua Tree NP and the Cleveland National Forest. The Joshua Tree is more of a desert, so be prepared for hot and not the "typical" park, the Cleveland National Forest is more of the traditional trees and stuff. Another fun option is the Palm Springs Tramway and the trip to Mt. San Jacinto State park on top of the hill.

I also like the Torrey Pines Natural Reserve and the Cabrillo National Monument.

Also, some hidden gems can be found in the TA Top Question.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29092-i65-k603239…

Also, if you want some good places to visit for kids that is somewhat educational, check out the Mission San Juan Capistrano and the Discovery Science Center, both in the Orange County area.

www.visittheoc.com

8. Re: May or June 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 am, July 06, 2013
Manchester, United...
9. Re: May or June 2014

Thanks yet again, you guys are so helpful!

Was thinking more traditional park type stuff, after car trouble in death valley I'm a bit put off my dessert type scenarios, haha!! I will look at the other places you've suggested. Funds allowing would like to ideally combine with trio to brother who us working near Calgary at minute so suppose that should tick all the big tree and mountain boxes!

Manchester, United...
10. Re: May or June 2014

Thanks Darkbeer - may seek your advise/tips nearer the time!