We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DisneyLand

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
DisneyLand

We are visiting Disneyland in the first week of Sept for the first time with a 9yr girl, 7yr and 4yr old boys.

Would a 3 day pass be sufficent to experience all that Disneyland has to offer?

HAve also read about the fastpass(which totally confuses me..hehe) is it as confusing as it sounds and worth having?

Is the character dining experience worth doing also??

ANy hints, tips, must do's and don't do's would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 85
1. Re: DisneyLand

Hopefully you are not talking about Labor Day Weekend which is a busy Holiday weekend Aug 31- Sept 2 for 2013 as that would be a very busy time. After that, things would be quiet for a little while until the start of Halloweentime at Disneyland which reports are that may be Sept 13 for 2013. That weekends Fri, Sat, Sun would be busier at Disneyland.

One thing to also keep in mind during that time... The Haunted Mansion closes in later August to get its Halloween/Christmastime overlay put on and doesnt open till the start of Halloweentime. Space Mountain also usually closes a full week before the starting day of Halloweentime to get its Halloween overlay.

Heres more info on last years Halloweentime so you can get some idea of what goes on during that time.

wdwinfo.com/disneyland/Events/Halloween.htm

Also, alot of Sept will have off season hours of around 10am till 8pm M-Thurs and 8am till 12pm Fri,Sat, Sun. The Fireworks show and Fantasmic show are usually only on the weekends, Fri,Sat,Sun during Sept. So you may want to include some weekend days in your visit.

3 days in an average time for a visit to Disneyland. There is plenty to see and do in both Parks to keep you busy for at least that amount of time.

The Fastpass is free and the use of it comes within any Disneyland ticket. Its helpful to use on busier rides that may have longer lines. Here is more info on the Fastpass system and how to use it which should be helpful.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29092-c3632/Anaheim:…

As far as Charater dining goes, its really up to you. There are Charaters all throughout the Park, so they are not necessary for seeing them. However, Charater meals sometimes allow more one on one time with Charaters.

You can also type in questions in the search box here in the Anaheim forum. Theres lots of helpful threads on all kinds of subjects to do with visiting Disneyland for you to look through.

If you would like help finding somewhere to stay, you can give us a budget per night for a Hotel, and we can help you find something. You can stay directly across the street from the Disneyland Main Entrance and easily walk in . Most of those are going to be standard Motels with a few Hotels in a little farther walking distance.

Here is a Map of Hotels in the Disneyland area that should be helpful, the Disneyland Main Entrance is located off of Harbor Blvd near where it says "East Shuttle Area" on the Map.

printfreemaps.com/maps/freedisneylandareamap…

You should be aware that Australian residents can purchase a special 10 day Disneyland Pass (Parkhopper) for about the same cost as a 5 day Parkhopper ( a 5 day Parkhopper is $40 more than a 3 day one) Its available at a travel agent in that area.

Edited: 12:47 am, May 24, 2013
melbourne
reviews: 2
2. Re: DisneyLand

Hi. We're here now and were here in August 2011. We have 2 boys (now 9 and 12)

Last time we did a 6 day hopper and went for some or all of those 6 days.

This time we have a 10 day pass and have already been 4 1/2 pretty full days. In both visits, we still haven't done it all!

There is so much to do. In 3 days you'd get most of the main rides and attractions done. Then you'll have more to look forward to on your next visit!!

We love the character Melas. Last time we did Minnie and friends. This time we did Minnie's again, and also did Goofys for dinner. I prefer Minnie's and theres heaps of characters there. It is priceless to see the interaction of your kids and the characters.

Regarding fastpasses, they are a must. You get to go on rides much quicker and don't have to stand in long, long lines. They are really not confusing when you use them.

I also suggest using Ridemax. It is a computer program that you subscribe to ($15) and it tells you which rides to go on when, and when to get and use fastpasses. We have used it both trips and would never do Disneyland without it. We had friends we saw in the park one morning. We were onto our 6th ride of the day, they were onto only their 2nd! I felt really bad for them, and hoped they enjoyed their time in the park as much as we did.

Any questions, please ask away.

By the way...a must do is to stay across the road from the park. We are at the Hojo which is great, but that's the furthest I'd stay.

Bermagui, Australia
reviews: 79
3. Re: DisneyLand

Fastpass seems confusing, but it is super easy. Just insert your ticket into the machine near the ride entrance, it will give you a time frame to come back and then you just skip to the front of the line basically - Fast pass has a separate MUCH shorter line than the standby line. You can only have one fastpass at a time, so you have to make sure you really want to use it for a particular ride.

If three days is all you can muster up, then that is fine. Your kids are old enough to be able to handle most of the day and September is usually one of the better months to visit crowd wise. Although you do say the first week in September which is VERY busy due to a public holiday. We are visiting in the 3rd week for that reason and also so the Halloween decorations are up and the Haunted Mansion is back open - you will be really bummed to miss that one. It is a Disney Parks classic and "not to be missed"

One "tip" would be that if you are thinking that you may want to give the kids a rest at any point during the day make sure you stay close to Disneyland - there are tonnes of Hotels/Motels across the street that are WAY cheaper than the Disney hotels.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
4. Re: DisneyLand

Fastpass, over 10 years ago, I became the King of Fastpass and taught others the "tricks" of using the system, and the system has changed multiple times.... Heck, I remember when you could use your Ralphs Grocery Store card to get fastpasses (a glitch in the system).

It can be basic, or with some planning, more advanced. It is up to you. The guide I wrote and now is used in places like the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland can be found here.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29092-c3632/Anaheim:…

As mentioned above, 3 days is a decent option, but if you want to take breaks and take it at a slow pace, maybe a day longer.

Cooroy, Australia
reviews: 55
5. Re: DisneyLand

We had a 5 day pass and it was great but still didnt get to do and see everything but did our favourite things many times. I think if 3 days is all you have it will be fine and if you are there on a fri,sat or sun the park is usually open later which gives you more hours!

We also loved the character meals, we did Goofys Kitchen for a dinner, Surfs Up with Mickey for a breakfast and had a lunch with the Princesses at Ariel's Grotto. I have read the Minnie Breakfast is good too and will be giving it a go when we return next yr.

We went there when it was quiet we didnt need to use the fast pass system as wait times were only 5 10 mins so we were lucky.

The only time I found I used them was when we were in DCA for California Sreamin and that was because my girls were too small for the ride (4/6) and my husband and myself tag teamed.

The only tip I can give is to scroll thru this forum and look for topics that may interest you, this forum helped me so much and I had the most wonderful Disneyland adventure!!

Enjoy your trip!!

Brisbane, Australia
6. Re: DisneyLand

we wil lactually be there for the long weekend, but was thinking of doing legoland over the weekend(not sure if the crowds will be any different there??)

Brisbane, Australia
7. Re: DisneyLand

Ridemax sounds interesting..has anyone else used this?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
8. Re: DisneyLand

Welcome to the forums Tam D.

You may want to consider starting your own post with questions so you can get specific answers to them rather than in someone elses post where it may or may not be seen. You can do that by simply clicking in the middle of the Anaheim forum page where it says "Ask a Question"

RideMax is a well used planning program that lots of people use for Disneyland. There is also a thread on that subject recently here in the Anaheim forum you can look at.

When you say "long Weekend" what dates are you reffering to? Some Schools are already on thier summer break, and alot will follow sometime in this next week, so it will be busy at Legoland as well as most other attractions from now till the end of summertime which ends usually around very late August to early Sept.

reviews: 1
9. Re: DisneyLand

Please can someone tell me how much I am looking at spending for Park Passes for the 31st December this year

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
10. Re: DisneyLand

jennjen20007480,

The Disneyland.com website has ticket prices for you, and those regular price tickets are good till Dec 31 of 2014. Heres thier ticket page.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/tickets/

There are various discounts offered, if you can tell us where you are comming from to visit?

The Mousesavers.com website is also helpful as it lists current discounts on attractions for you ( they dont sell tickets)

mousesavers.com/disneyland-california-vacati…

Edited: 11:53 am, July 23, 2013