We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest yet quickest way to get from Anahiem to universal

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 4
Cheapest yet quickest way to get from Anahiem to universal

Hi

3 mates & i are heading to Anahiem later in the year & im trying to find the cheapest yet QUICKEST way to get from Anahiem to universal studios. The other forums i have found are back in 08 so after some recent advice!

Reason is im trying to weigh up if its better to get the city pass or just purchase individually. Im not too fussed if i see the zoo or not.. ANY SUGGESTIONS would be FANTASTIC! even what to do or not what to do while were there for 6.5 days! all i know is disneyland & universal is a must!

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
1. Re: Cheapest yet quickest way to get from Anahiem to universal

OK, there is Cheap, and then there is quickest, and they are two different options (in fact there are more than 2).

The Cheapest would be to take the LA Metro Route 460 Bus from Disneyland to Downtown LA and transfer to the LA Metro Subway system to Universal City. This would be around $10 per person round trip.

The quickest way is to use Gray Line Anaheim Tour company and use their bus system, if you have a ticket, you can get a transfer only option if you contact them directly. (Their posted prices include a ticket to the park).

www.graylineanaheim.com

The compromise is taking OCTA Route 43/543 Public Bus north on Harbor Blvd. to the Fullerton Station, catch the Amtrak/Metrolink from the train Station to Union Station in Downtown LA, and transfer to the LA Metro Red Line Subway to Universal City, and then catch the free tram service up the hill.

This can cost between $12 and $40ish dollars per person, depending on the day of the week, and time of day. (More than likely in the higher range.)

www.octa.net

www.metrolinktrains.com

www.amtrak.com

And FYI, the basic Southern California CityPass is a 3 day Disneyland Resort ParkHopper (2 parks), a day at Universal Studios, and a day at SeaWorld San Diego. The San Diego Zoo is an add on if you buy directly from citypass.com.

The SoCal CityPass makes senses even if you do not go to San Diego, and just use the 3 day Disneyland ParkHopper and the Universal ticket.

You might also want to look at Knott's Berry Farm Theme Park, very close to Disneyland and Anaheim, under $40 per person if bought in advance.

Public transit is the same LA Metro Route 460 bus mentioned earlier. (a lot shorter of a trip than to downtown LA).

With a large group, I would also look at renting a car for the day, you have to pay the rental fee, the required insurance, and then add gas and the $15 parking at Universal to compare. That would be the quickest way for the most part. (Very heavy traffic might favor the Amtrak/Metrolink train system).

www.knotts.com

Edited: 7:20 am, May 05, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 87
2. Re: Cheapest yet quickest way to get from Anahiem to universal

Welcome to the forums Queenslanderchic,

How many days are you planning on spending at Disneyland? As suggested, if you are planning 3 days at Disneyland and 1 at Universal Studios, then the SoCal City Pass mentioned makes sense, since it will be the least costwise for you even just using the Disneyland 3 day Parkhopper and the Universal Studios part.

However, if you want to use the SoCal City Pass, and take one of the Tours, that would be an additional fee for transport that you would need to purchase from the Tour company.

Do you want to spend time in the Los Angeles area besides Universal Studios? Theres lots to do in that area as well, Its about a 1 hour drive North of the Anaheim area, You can split your stay, and stay 3 days for Disneyland, and 3 for the LA area. You can post in the Los Angeles forum for ideas of what to do and where to stay ect where you may be able to take public transport to Universal as well as other attractions from that area. They also list itinerary ideas on that forum page for you to look at on the right side of the page.

You can also visit San Diego which is a wonderful City to visit with lots to do, including SeaWorld if you are interested in that. Its about a 90 min drive South of Anaheim in good traffic. They also have a Train that goes from Anaheim to San Diego. You could split your stay that way as well and spend part of the time in Anaheim, and part in San Diego, and they have a good forum to post in as well.

So its really up to you what you may be more interested in doing. Some people dont want to move Hotels, and dont want to split there stay and prefer to rent a Car to get around to the various areas such as LA and San Diego (renting a Car is much more convenient.)

Some will want to stay in Anaheim, and take 1 day Tours from there to Universal Studios in LA, and SeaWorld in San Diego. Its just really up you what you may want to do.

Edited: 10:57 am, May 05, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan
reviews: 39
3. Re: Cheapest yet quickest way to get from Anahiem to universal

I'd just rent a car to do the trip, and that will make it a quick way to get to Universal Studios Hollywood from Anaheim area. As Darkbeer mentions, "cheapest"and "Quickest" way to get somewhere not close to Anaheim is totally different things. I've done the public transit option to Universal from Anaheim many times when I lived there in California, and it's cheap and adventurous, but pretty time consuming as well.

I've also the Gray Line tour DB described....well, not a tour, more like a bus ride from Anaheim to Universal, and we got to spend most of the day there. That was pretty fun actually...I just wished we got assigned on one of those cooler double decker buses GL operated for that day rather than the lamer old Greyhound style buses we were on...lol.

But yes, cheapest would be public transit, and quickest would certainly be driving yourselves from Anaheim to Universal.Personally if I have that CityPass, I'd visit the San Diego Zoo if I could . It's the most impressive actual zoo I' ve ever visited, and my wife to this day still talked about our VIP day there from last year. We took a guided tour from Anaheim too, btw, for that zoo visit, but with VIP tours. Not as good as Grey Line.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 4
4. Re: Cheapest yet quickest way to get from Anahiem to universal

WOw thanks! you have been so helpful!

may look at hiring a car even if its for a day or 2 .. between 4 people may be worth wild. Is there anyone you could recommend?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 58
5. Re: Cheapest yet quickest way to get from Anahiem to universal

From Australia, I'd start first with www.traveljigsaw.co.uk, and then www.carhire3000.co.uk - these companies sell rental vouchers for the U.S. company that actually rents you the car, but they're better deals for foreigners than renting directly with the U.S. companies, as with these vouchers you get all the insurance that you'll need, whereas the U.s. companies will sell that to you separately if you book directly with them, and its not inexpensive.

6. Re: Cheapest yet quickest way to get from Anahiem to universal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, May 12, 2014