We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knott's - worth it if pregnant?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
87 reviews
Knott's - worth it if pregnant?

I went to Knott's way back in 2003 with two of my sisters. I'll be going back this September with my Husband who has never been to the West coast of the USA Before (we are from Australia and ALWAYS go to Orlando each year) We are trying to get pregnant, I can handle not being able to do the "good" rides at DL and Universal but i'm wondering if it is even worth it to go to Knott's if I do become pregnant. Most of their rides from memory were all "thrill level plus!"

Any thoughts?

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1. Re: Knott's - worth it if pregnant?

Yes, it is "worth it". Period. It sounds like that you are just assuming you cannot go on certain rides if you become pregnant? If you got pregnant today, you would only be about 1/2 way along in Sep. What you should do is talk with your doctor about your limitations and then base your Knotts activity on what he says.

My niece was 40 when he was 5 months pregnant with her child. We went to Disneyland and(after she talked with her doctor and got the ok) she rode on everything except Space Mountain.

Edited: 8:53 pm, March 30, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
20,059 posts
84 reviews
2. Re: Knott's - worth it if pregnant?

Rides clearly state usually expectant mothers should not ride on specific rides, so you can just avoid those. I personally would not feel comfortable with taking any kind of a risk if you are pregnant, there are quite a few rides at Disneyland that would not be wise to go on IMO, better safe than sorry.

It does look like theres quite a bit an expectant mother would be limited from riding at Knotts........

>>>"Expectant Mothers will be limited from participating on the following attractions, due to the dynamic motion involved when riding: Bigfoot Rapids®, Boomerang, Camp Bus, Charlie Brown's Speedway, Dragon Swing, GhostRider®, Hat Dance, High Sierra Ferris Wheel, Jaguar!®, Joe Cool's GR8 SK8, La Revolucion, Log Ride, Lucy's Tugboat, Montezooma's Revenge®, Pony Express, RipTide, Rocky Road Truckin' Co, Screamin' Swing, SIerra Sidewinder, Silver Bullet, Supreme Scream®, Timberline Twister, Waveswinger, Wheeler Dealer Bumper Cars, Wipeout, Woodstock's Airmail, and Xcelerator">>>>.

knotts.com/plan-a-visit/guests-with-disabili…

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
87 reviews
3. Re: Knott's - worth it if pregnant?

thanks happytotrip, that's why I asked. I looked at that list on their website and was like "what's left?"!! I would NOT go on any rides that could impact my unborn child, period. The reason they have those warnings is because any jolts can cause the uterine wall to break away from the placenta, i'm not having that on my concience! This isn't the first, nor will it be the last time we travel to either Disneyland or WDW so I am happy to do "kiddy rides" at Universal and DL but just have no idea if Knott's would be worth it as from memory the theming etc and shows weren't that great. It is more about the rides, kind of like Six Flags - we won't be going there if I do get pregnant.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
5,224 posts
155 reviews
4. Re: Knott's - worth it if pregnant?

You can always eat fried chicken at Mrs. Knotts'

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
87 reviews
5. Re: Knott's - worth it if pregnant?

haha, I could, but i'm a vegetarian ;)

Redlands, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
15,234 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Knott's - worth it if pregnant?

Hi galaga girl,

I've been going to Knott's since I was a kid in the 1960's. The theming has changed over the years, most notably after Cedar Fair bought the Farm (no pun intended) from the Knott's family. It's big hey days for most locals are looked at as the 80's and most of the 90's. (If interested in the history - which is long, indeed - there is a four part series on You Tube as well as some old videos from different decades.) It was sad to see what Cedar Fair has done with the theming, but very encouraging that Ghost Town (the orginal themed western section) cannot and will not be changed.

There is more to do and see at Knott's Berry Farm than thrill rides, to be sure! I got my first season pass last year and expect to get one this year as well (in June or May) and I am not a "thrill ride" person. Prior to 2011, my last summer visit was in 2003. I used to go once during the summer and once or twice during Christmas Season (mostly for shows). I was happy when I went back in 2011, so I decided to go again during the summer of 2012, with the season pass being the most cost effective for me since I planned to go again during the Christmas Season. I was there four times last year. (But also visited Mrs. Knott's and the Knott's Market Place on another day). Last year the former head of Disneyland Resort Parks (sorry, forgot the title), became the head honcho of Knott's Berry Farm and began making some nice little changes such as installing flower beds in the Market Place, adding decor touches to Ghost Town (example, in summer there were dried flower bouqets attached to the General Store's door). He added some character actors walking around Ghost Town, such as a gambler, sherriff, saloon girl, and Dusty the tomboy cowgirl.

I will give you an example of how a visit to Knott's can be done without thrill rides by taking you through the things I did last summer. Not a full trip report (I actually wrote one last year - in June), but an overview. (I know this is getting to be a long post.)

I arrived at the Beach Blvd. parking lot early and took a short walk over to Independence Hall. Walked around the duck pond, feed the ducks and roosters and enjoyed the morning. I may have popped into Independence Hall, which is free to enter, but don't remember. I do remember going in there recently, though, and looking at the Liberty Bell, listening to a bit of the audio recreation of the days leading up to the Declaration of Independence.

Then I went on over to the Knott's Market Place, via the open air under pass. Visited the bakery, the Berry Market - where I popped into the back to see one of the remain "exhibits" that Walter Knott created, a hidden part of Knott's that some folks never see - and had a quick walk around the gift shops to see what was new. (I'm not much of a shopper, so I don't linger much.) Usually I have lunch at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant prior to going into the park, but wanted to get into the park sooner so I brought a sandwich and soda with me and ate it at one of the picnic tables with a view of a fountain.

Once into the park, I did the following:

Rode the Ferris Wheel in Camp Snoopy (small, but prettty view).

Saw the saloon show. Love the can-can dancers, Dakota Dan is always cute, and enjoy seeing Cameo Kate picking an unsuspecting man from the audience and singing to him.

Rode the stagecoach ride and the (authentic steam engine) train.

Saw the Wagon Camp stunt show.

Rode the Log Ride twice - I don't know why this is on a do not ride list of "thrill rides", it is similar to Splash Mt. and I believe the drop is not as steep (if it is, then I need to get over my fear of Splash Mt.).

Saw the summer ice show, Happiness is....Snoopy - which unfortunately doesn't play past August.

Went into Mystery Lodge, great theming there - inside and out - and always mind-boggling even though I know how they do it. This definitely is not thrilling! You are sitting down and watching a story telling show that has some special effects.

Went on the Mine Train. This is an historic ride, maybe the first of its kind.

Rode the Jacquar. Okay, so you should probably pass on this one. But most people would consider this a tame coaster. The most thrilling it gets is banked curves. I sometimes get some air time, but I am riding solo and sit loosely in my seat.

Watched a cowboy shoot out in the street and the sherriff playing checkers with a park guest.

Exited the park for a late lunch at Mrs. Knott's and re-entered.

Saw the Ghost Town Miners singing bluegrass at their outdoor stage near the Ghost Rider coaster. That was a highlight, actually. Loved it (cuz I am corny!) and loved seeing all the kids dancing around to the music.

Listened to a do-wop group singing oldies near the Boardwalk.

Would have watched the Extreme Wheels show at Calico Stage, but not into that scene.

On my second visit during the summer there was a Beatles Tribute at the Calico Stage, which was incredible and followed the history of the band with costume changes for three different sets. They were only there on Mondays last year and I arranged to go to the park on the last day they were there. (Like I mentioned, I grew up in the 1960's!)

So.......you see there is plenty to do and see at Knott's without doing thrill rides. I only did two (on either day I went). Now, I really can't say what it will be like in late September if you go. But just to be fair I want to make the point that an adult can have a good time at Knott's Berry Farm without going on thrill rides.

As far as theming goes. Since 2003, sadly, Reflection Lake has been drained and the Silver Bullet Coaster is above it. Part of the track can be seen from the right side of the Wagon Camp - which I just happened to notice last summer. Don't know why I didn't notice before. For me this is very annoying because I have very fond memories of going into the Wagon Camp with my parents and feeling really "western" there. But on the other hand, I find it interesting that the Wagon Camp can survive and co-exist with a bit of a coaster overhead.

My favorite parts of the park for feeling theme are Ghost Town and Wilderness at Mystery Lodge. (They put in Pony Express down the walkway, so the entire area is not pure "wilderness", but I love that area near Mystery Lodge.) I also enjoy walking through Camp Snoopy in the morning, walking over the barrel bridges, and through the cave there.

Redlands, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
15,234 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Knott's - worth it if pregnant?

There is more on the menu than chicken at Mrs. Knott's, but you can always just get the mashed potatoes (yummy), corn, salad, and biscutts. Or go early for breakfast. : ) There is a Panda Express chinese restaurant in Ghost Town that might be a nice choice. Also, Spurs Restaurant probably has a range of choices.

Edited: 12:47 am, March 31, 2013
Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
87 reviews
8. Re: Knott's - worth it if pregnant?

WOW, Redland's thank you so much! Don't worry about the long post - I loved it. You have definetly given me a reason to go if I do become pregnant, My Husband will want to do the rides but it is nice to know that I can do and see some other things whilst there and for under $40 a ticket I can afford to go :)

Redlands, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
15,234 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Knott's - worth it if pregnant?

You are welcome. Where did you get a price of under $40? Is it a special? The regular price for a one day adult ticket to Knott's t is usually closer to almost $60. But they do have specials from time to time. (I got my season pass last year based on it being only about $12 more than a regular one day visit.)

By the way, I noticed that the Ghost Town Miners play off season, not just during summer. There may or may not be other musical groups. Check the website under This Week at Knott's.

Edited: 1:11 am, March 31, 2013
Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
87 reviews
10. Re: Knott's - worth it if pregnant?

It's on their website http://www.knotts.com/tickets if you purchase 3 days in advance it is around $37